South coast beach session

Isaac Ct

Hi raiders, quick report from this arvo, I’m staying down south near St. George’s basin and my dad and I decided to have a crack at beach fishing in the rain in hope of getting something to put in a crab pot. We headed down to the beach with some pillies and sent one out. Instant bites and felt like I had been baited, winded in the find a flattie had been chilling out on the end of the line. Pleasantly surprised we chucked one more bait out to try get one more fish to eat and again another one. 2 fish in the span of 5 minutes and boy did we get out of there.
The rain turned for the worse but we had some crab bait we planned to set tonight. Going for muddies up a local creek. anyone know prime spots for muddies ? The creek gets to about 4.3m around the bendsfrom other times if sounded up there on a friends boat. Other than that there are snags and shallow flats on the straights of the river. 
56918FEF-33AD-4E7C-A6F9-A9DEE7678146.thumb.jpeg.5983929ed3f3450f06c3c398973513a1.jpeg

Cheers, Isaac

• Like 13

2 hours ago, kobi caught a fish said:

Great flathead issac, in Sydney I have struggling to find many fish although I have mostly been using lures I have fished for 8 hours have fish only caught one decent flathead and a few small bream mullet and flathead.

At least you’ve managed something, might shoot u a PM if u wanna go for a flick or something like that.

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

2 flatties for the table, so worth the effort before the rain.

Never fished the Basin, so cannot help you there.

Thanks Yowie, just want you to tell me everything you know about fishing the hacking at this time of year so I might be able to actually catch something good back at home 😆.

1 hour ago, Restyle said:

good fish for a soggy arvo. Always quite a surprise when a fish is chilling on the line.

Thanks mate, it is quite often the flatties on the beach feel like a small piece of weed and they only really fight when you start dragging them up the sand

Well done on the flatties Isaac. A couple of nice meals there along with some crab bait was worth getting wet for.

That creek I’m pretty sure you’re thinking of would be your best bet for a crab or two I reckon. With all this rain and no urbanization upstream, it shouldn’t be as effected from all this runoff as the others.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Thanks Yowie, just want you to tell me everything you know about fishing the hacking at this time of year so I might be able to actually catch something good back at home 😆.

I know nuthin.  :074:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great feed there @Isaac Ct

Thanks Pickles

41 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Well done on the flatties Isaac. A couple of nice meals there along with some crab bait was worth getting wet for.

That creek I’m pretty sure you’re thinking of would be your best bet for a crab or two I reckon. With all this rain and no urbanization upstream, it shouldn’t be as effected from all this runoff as the others.

Cheers Pete, unfortunately the tide was too low to get the trap in and my dad didn’t want to risk putting it in on the high tide this morning because of the bogs. 😔 

26 minutes ago, bessell1955 said:

Al  the best in your crabbing venture.  Let us know how you go.

Thanks mate, might have to stick to the beach for now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Yes, with the current weather conditions I feel even the crabs have packed up.

That's odd you say that. I was told that seasonal rain was good for mud crabs, I may be wrong though.

I love fishing for flatties.
Sometimes it’s like reeling in a sock, until their head is literally out of the water and it freaks out. At least with duskies, landbased. Also you don’t really know how big the fish is *until* it freaks out, which is fun.

• Like 1