Bate Bay Snapper

Larkin

Gday Raiders,

with the good weather today, headed out to northern Bate Bay for an early morning fish.

Lures Used: 5 inch Zman streakz curly tail in 2 colours - midnight oil & pearl. 5/0H 3/8oz jighead.

Bait Used: Salted Mackerel Strips on gama 5/0 octopus hook - paternoster rig using shogun 3way crane swivel.

Reached the reef at around 6.30am - first cast of the day was with a SP in midnight oil - let it waft down as I prepared my second rod, gave it two little jerks up and then opened the bail to let it drop back down…closed the bail and with a lift of the rod i was on to something really big that started peeling off a lot of line. Unfortunately I couldn’t stop it and it got to reef and took half my leader with it.

It went quiet for the next couple of hours as the drift was too quick, but at around 8.30 the drift changed direction and it slowed right down.

The fish were now on! Bait balls everywhere with larger fish beneath and chasing. 
Caught 3 of the snappers on SP’s and 2 on bait. All 5 Slimies caught on the 5in streakz as well as a baracouda/sea pike.
Also caught a 35cm yakka/cowanyoung that managed to swallow one of the 5inch SP’s whole.

result: 

1x 53cm Snapper, 1x 44cm Snapper, 3x 32cm pinkies, 5 X slimie mackerel 33-35cm

Going to try a fish herb/spice mix I purchased for grilling on the 44cm fish & one of the 32cm - the others are going to some of my work colleagues that have been keen to try some fresh snapper.

15ED0466-E2E0-411F-AFDB-E05CBE96AD06.jpeg.fccc64c909dfa60b9a08462a1bc22a48.jpegB20A47B7-92B6-46AB-9F32-B673A41C7477.jpeg.e2ec9efbe8cdafdbba3113c16fc2fc70.jpeg

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Top report looks like you got some top fish and should be good eating well done 

Thanks Masterfisho, 

10 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Good stuff Larkin, another successful snapper trip, well done. Can’t believe how much fishing im missing out on. Probably gonna head out tomorrow. Maybe something for me then.

Good luck Isaac!

Spoke to a couple of guys at the ramp - had some flatties and a good sized trev, caught inside the hacking.

outside in bate bay, plenty of baitfish over the reefs atm.

9 hours ago, Restyle said:

Nice haul of fish mate! Wouldve been abit busy out on the water today.

Thanks restyle!

outside, not many boats at all. I was the only one fishing up the northern end. Saw one boat fish the area for an hour and left, but nowhere near me.
I think a lot go south to hit the flatty grounds - always a few boats around there.

Inside the Hacking would be a different story.

57 minutes ago, bessell1955 said:

A very informative report and a great result. :clapping:

thanks Bessel!

trying to include what I do and use to help others get onto some fish.

wafting some plastics though bait balls has been working really well for me. I look for some larger marks on the sounder below/around the baitfish and let the SP drift through. Most bait balls have lurkers.

Edited by Larkin
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Great work Larkin! Top bag of reds and a shame about the bust off!

Enjoy the fillets👏🏻👏🏻

Thanks Rob!

Having one get away is just as good as catching one - love the fight! It just beat me up lol

4 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice bag of reds.

I was thinking of heading out Saturday but the conditions looked better for Sunday.

Thanks yowie!

been watching the weather myself. It started off choppy, but by 9am it had calmed down - that northern area is a little exposed to swells.

3 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Well done and a nice bag of snapper, hopefully you can catch 'the one that got away' next time.

thanks blueben!

it beat me fair and square… to fight another day.

3 hours ago, Washitup said:

Epic feed ya gott there mate! Awsome report aswell! Thanks 

thanks washitup!

When the conditions changed, they were on! Good fun.

57 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Super haul.

Well done.

thanks rebel!

as you know, a few reds around at the moment.