Mosman Bay

AlbertW

Hey Raiders, 

After one of my friends showed interest in fishing so I decided I’d pass on @DerekD teachings and after teaching him the basics- casting, knots and retrievals I recommend him to stick to bait fishing until he got a better rod as his current one was pretty old and was straight mono.  I showed him a basic setup and gave him time to practice while I hopped a paddletail around on the bottom and after casting for so long with no bites that I even started questioning myself if I was fishing the plastics right my rod finally loaded up with what I thought was a flattie due to the headshakes turned out to be a nice 37cm flounder- my first one ever.
7817CEAC-4262-4AC6-8EED-5FC93950B7A4.thumb.jpeg.0c2ee06c125be011adcaec839f8ca375.jpegAfter a quick release I put my rod down and went to help my mate after he said that he was getting bites but no hookups. So we went straight to a panfish hook and after spotting a very decent leather jacket he managed to hook up said leather jacket and catch his first legal fish in Australia. As we started to pack up I switched to a little 2.5inch watermelon grub and on the last cast a massive 50+ cm trevally came out and smashed it peeling off my drag and running like crazy unfortunately I was fishing with my bream rod and only had 6lb fluro on and as it took one last final run it snapped my line and disappeared into the depths. 

Daniel with his first legal fish.jpg

• Like 15

H @AlbertW,

Well done on a few levels.

Firstly, on the fish you both caught (and lost but it still sounds like you enjoyed it).

Secondly, on helping someone improve their knowledge of fishing. Mentoring will also help you grow as an angler - explaining concepts in a way that makes sense will help you understand the core basics even better. The questions they ask can get you to look at things from a different perspective and even change the ways you might do something.

Thirdly, that was a well prepared and enjoyable to read fishing report.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 4