Bate Bay Prospecting

Larkin

Gday Raiders,

Decided to do a bit of prospecting in Bate Bay yesterday. Looking for new potential spots to test out. Found one spot which seemed to hold large fish on the sounder - they weren’t taking anything I tried. Left and came back a few hours later and still large fish were holding up there, so it has been marked for future fishing.

Caught a mix of fish. Lots of small baracouda/sea pike around - caught about 5, and the other usuals. Small flatties, a few different wrasse, scorpions, bakers. The majority on SP.

2 morwongs each at around the 45cm mark on bait - released.

Kept only the snapper which went 45cm (caught on SP) - neighbour came to see what I had caught while I was washing the ski, and walked off with lunch.

Tried a few spots for squid inside and just outside, for nothing. Haven’t seen squid around for a while now. Curious if anyone is catching squid in the hacking atm?

1E6F0C48-1726-4F0B-94E9-5E7153A30DC7.thumb.jpeg.ce811f5333ebf2ba6b168ae736c4dee2.jpeg90C23FEC-3150-41C1-B35E-74E42BEB7FA4.thumb.jpeg.7e9da45dfda6bf402cc9700c7bd9bf17.jpegE66AD9CC-6917-43AF-8E8F-C221DCB5E07D.thumb.jpeg.b4c9884469d5b3f5959c181902e35c51.jpegEB0D5143-67A6-4AEF-A756-E2928A79CB0D.thumb.jpeg.3506fd53ac94ead36a43df6ac16a740e.jpeg
BF2B3A16-970B-477F-9C51-0F723A209536.thumb.jpeg.b6b05511da1497105b93de807a3fa692.jpeg

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Yowie said:

One decent fish, and you gave it away. 

Could have kept the mowies  :puke: , well, maybe not.

A mixture of all sorts.

The big fish, groper perhaps?

Haha, not keen on the mowies when I have freezer full of vac sealed flatty and snapper fillets. 

The fish holding up weren’t groper. It was a school of large fish. The marks were large and multiple. Kings, salmon maybe - on the edge of a reef with some structure around 30m deep, will see if it holds fish again next time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Good day out Larkin, well done.

Better than nothing. I am hoping for someone to report a good catch of squid so I can get onto some.

Well done,

Thanks Isaac, Yesterday was a prospecting trip - looking for new spots, so was happy to find a potential.

Yeah, Not sure where the squid are, as I haven’t been able to find them for the last 6 weeks. Last year they were in numbers from around November, so hopefully soon.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Great report like the photos well done

Thanks masterfisho!

5 hours ago, Rebel said:

Super photos.

Top report.

Nice to see somebody else feeding the neighbours.

Well done.

Thanks Rebel!

he was quick to take the fish lol, but also offered me a beer!

3 hours ago, Fab1 said:

If the neighbours relied on me they wouldn’t be eating.I blame that bloody Yowie.Great Report @Larkin.👍👍

Thanks Fab!

I’m sure he could give you a few 🎣 pointers if you asked nicely. 😜

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Great report @Larkin, looks like you caught a large range of species and nice snapper. Well done

👍 Was a little bit of everything kind of a day. The one spot that was showing large fish, didn’t produce on the day. Maybe if I had a livie to send down, it would have fire them up.

10 hours ago, jenno64 said:

That reef holding big fish sounds promising Larkin. Squid have been hard to come by for a while, every time I have a go the water has been a bit murky and they don’t normally like that. 

That’s what I’ve noticed too. The water hasn’t been as clear this year compared to last. They’ll show up soon.