The HOLLY GRAIL!!??

Ryan.f

5 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi @Ryan.f,

Thank you sometimes goes both ways. I've enjoyed your company during these learning sessions and the passion you have in trying things makes it a pleasure to mentor you. I've been really impressed at how quickly you've picked up a lot of the techniques and philosophies behind what I'm showing you.

I did the numbers this morning and realised with an 80cm mulloway, a 65cm kingfish, a 30cm tailor, 2 legal and 1 just under legal blackfish that you caught over 2.5m of fish on Saturday (if you laid them head to tail).

If we'd scored a salmon and flathead too on Saturday I would have told you not to worry about the lottery as you probably used up all your fishing luck for the day. Having said that I believe technique was a bigger factor in your success than luck. You worked for and earned every one of the fish you landed. We were also lucky in the order they were caught. Those blackfish allowed us to discuss fighting techniques and an awareness of adjacent structures. That mulloway was excellent practice on how to bring in and control a larger fish. The tailor was good learning for the working of the slug-go lure and the bump I keep talking about. The kingfish gave you an opportunity to put it all together.

Well done and looking forward to our next session. Probably yabbie (ghost nippers) pumping and 40cm plus whiting on the sandflats.

Regards,

Derek

PS. I pointed out to Ryan on the day that a mulloway, and especially a legal one, is a Holy Grail of Sydney fishing for many people. 

@DerekD thanks as always mate it’s been great fun fishing with you. Like you said it seemed to happen in perfect order :) looking forward to our next session already!

• Like 2

Hey Ryan, great report and very well deserved. Lucky I didn't tell you to go take a jump that first day we met at the Harbour, eh? You have been taking notice of your mentor haven't you? Good onya mate, lovely to see, and that's what FISHRAIDER epitomises to me...the camaraderie that exists between most of the members and the willingness to help each other out. I hope, in due course, that you will be able to pass on some of your capabilities to somebody in need. Till then, keep on fishing and enjoying the process. Bet you never thought fishing could be so good when you were doing it in the UK.

Keep up the good work, may catch up when I next get to Sydney.

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

11 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hey Ryan, great report and very well deserved. Lucky I didn't tell you to go take a jump that first day we met at the Harbour, eh? You have been taking notice of your mentor haven't you? Good onya mate, lovely to see, and that's what FISHRAIDER epitomises to me...the camaraderie that exists between most of the members and the willingness to help each other out. I hope, in due course, that you will be able to pass on some of your capabilities to somebody in need. Till then, keep on fishing and enjoying the process. Bet you never thought fishing could be so good when you were doing it in the UK.

Keep up the good work, may catch up when I next get to Sydney.

Cheers, bn

@big Neil thanks mate definitely glad you didn’t tell me to do one when I met you 😂 ye hopefully we can go for a fish when you’re next in Sydney mate hope everything is good up your way.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

An old post revitalised by the photo of the Jewfish. I trust you are still fishing regularly and enjoying your experiences. A big difference to the old country fishing Ryan. Keep up the good work and posting your successes. Cheers, bn