A tale of two competitions ( well one that went ahead anyway)

Bennyg78

Hi all,

I thought I’d post a little report up of my weekends fishing adventures 

For those of you who may read my posts, I have really got into my kayak fishing and was really pumped to enter my first ever bream fishing comp in the opening hobie asia pacific Grand Prix. However with the recent rain events it got cancelled.

Well next plan….enter the reelitin Aussie Flathead Competition . It’s an aussie wide comp helping to support beyond blue and is a photo catch and release comp. You get to submit your 5 biggest flatties and you’re awarded 2 points per cm for your biggest 5, that’s if you get 5

So the plan was take the kayak out on Saturday and hit some drop offs for flatties but just as I got the yak on the trolley it started raining and I thought is this the start of the great deluge (wasn’t to be and was actually a really nice day minus the wind). Change of plans to land based for Saturday saw me up the back of palm beach and catch a nice 45 cm flattie literally at my feet which got me on the board. For the punters it was in a chartreuse 4 inch daiwa bait junkie Minnow and a big eyes TT jighead 3/0. Around lunchtime the wind picked up and I called it a day.

Onto Sunday I hit another bay around middle harbour early, I wanted to use new plastic that I hadn’t really worked yet, so out comes the 4 inch holt swim prawn on a TT Headhunter 3/0, the lure has a pretty cool action where the feet reall work like a prawn. Within 30 minutes I had pulled into flatties a 36 cm and a 41cm,  I was thinking I was going to get the magic 5.

Onto the next spot and the next spot but no takers I did have a few solid bites and viewed some massive stingrays along spit reserve.

All in all was a fun weekend trying to target the Aussie icon that is the flattie, and always learning or trying different retrieves .

I am looking forward to the next comp on the kayak in November 

B8BEF33F-1A3F-45A8-B63B-7FCEA5B4FA4B.jpeg

731514C8-E4C5-4490-B7F1-F496BB254ADA.jpeg

28837DBA-DDB6-405C-8562-0790A5D3BD23.jpeg

• Like 19

Good on you for having a go @Bennyg78! Can't complain about three legal flatties. Might not be comp winning, but hey, it could've been a donut.

That's a nice brag mat for a comp. I've lost mine somewhere between our car, the garage and multiple fishing bags. I still have my kayak measuring board but at 60cm will leave me lacking if I get a bigger fish (we all live in hope don't we 😎🤣).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You have my full admiration mate. I admire anyone that can go fishing in a kayak, alas, I missed the boat.

Here's to the weather improving and you being able to get out in the yak more often. Good result with the 3 Flathead. Cheers, bn

• Like 1