Sydney snapper Kingies and Samson

Pickles

E952E998-C07E-40CB-8CB8-81C47FEAD864.thumb.jpeg.e0046010b38cffd0e80d6ced70e9865c.jpegBuddy @Hadsand fishing apprentice Jenson and I hit the harbour early to see if the Kingies were going to take a bait today. The prediction was for strong westerlies by 10am and choppy conditions, which certainly proved to be the case.

First stop was George’s corner to fill up with Yakkas, which we did in 15mins, then offshore to Long reef. We stopped at a few reefs on the way and hooked into some nice snapper (60cm) and some rat kings, but keeper Sampson fish, Trevally and BIG slimy makerel.

A lovely sunny day (at last), but wind picked by 10am as predicted, so we headed back to the ramp for an early day.

Water temp was 19.4, Wind was gentle early, but 30knots+ by 10, Swell was from South and current about 2 knots, so heavy lead needed. Bait was live Yakkas  and Yakka strips, slimy Makerl fillets and squid.

BB7CF748-ADC9-4C29-8F8B-89183571228C.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Pic added
  • Like 25

• Pickles changed the title to Sydney snapper Kingies and Samson
2 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Great catch.  What are Sampson fish like to eat?

2 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Great catch.  What are Sampson fish like to eat?

Samson fish (spelt it incorrectly - no “p”) are great to eat, just finished a cutlet tonight. I’ve found leaving any of the seriola species (kings, Samson fish or Amberjack) in the fridge for 24 hours and ensuring they are not over cooked = 😁🤩👏

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice snapper!

Got to pick the right day for the run out as the wind’s been a little up and down lately. 

you been getting any squid up your way? 

Hey Chris, squid (and cuttlefish) have been very spasmodic in the harbour over past month. Because of this, I’ve mostly been using Yakkas and slimies, which have been pretty easy to find and Kingies have been feeding on jelly prawns and “eyes”, so tough to get to take a livie or SP

• Like 2

How big were/was the Samson? You mention you had a cutlet, most of the ones I have seen or caught down this way were about 2kg or so, too small for a cutlet

Edited by noelm
Typo

3 hours ago, noelm said:

How big were/was the Samson? You mention you had a cutlet, most of the ones I have seen or caught down this way were about 2kg or so, too small for a cutlet

Hi Noel, they were small, 58-63cm, so pretty reasonable, but not the mid summer size Sambo’s which get upto 75cm off shore.