Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out with my mate on Saturday arvo, a bit south of the bombie. A southerly was blowing, not too strong, not too much swell either. Not many boats out for a Saturday in the bay, most boats and jet skis were up river instead.

We tried a couple of flattie drifts, the blue spots were scattered, the spikies were everywhere, so used a couple for bait. Also one tiger in the mix. Not big flatties, the biggest at 44cm.

Before sunset, we anchored on a reef, burleyed away and attracted yakkas and pike, nothing else of value. On the last drop I hooked to something of weight, looks like it might have been a blind shark. Headed home on dark. 

fish.jpeg.374_files_files_files.jpg

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 18

3 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

That is great haul of Flatties.  :1yikes:

Thank you, a few feeds coming up.

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Nicely done Dave 👍. Great eating size… but for some reason now all I see is lots of fillets. 
cheers Zoran

You are right there, lots of fillets Zoran. The wife is happy, not - fish again. 🤣

50 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Nice flatties.

Well done.

Thank you.

45 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Nice catch. A few of those fish in the second row look pretty happy.

They were not happy landing in the boat, swinging those head spikes about. 🤣

Edited by Yowie
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

A nice haul of Flatties. Judging by the number of reports that you post, always accompanied by a picture of a bunch of fish, I am guessing that you eat a lot of fish 🙂

Correct, more than the wife would like to eat each week.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

We all ask him that question. His family all have fins I think :074: 

Yes Donna. :074:

Mum likes her fish, and prawns, and blue swimmers. She sometimes eats the fish raw that I give her, no sauces added, just straight raw fish. Her sister was on a holiday at Lake Illawarra when I was a kid, and she ate fish every meal for 2 weeks straight. Every time I was there in the caravan, she would have a holiday at the same time (christmas) and scoff down the fish and prawns that I caught.

I do like eating fish (a few exceptions such as mongrel morwong), and crustaceans, and mussels, and oysters (but only cooked ones) - and the beach, and snorkelling, and scuba diving (not for a long time now).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Well done yowie!

Exactly what I was finding out there on Thursday- smaller flatheads 35-45 and plenty of baracouda/sea pike around the reefs.

Thank you. Much the same as you caught. When there are plenty of pike, not much else will be biting.

2 hours ago, Obsessed Fisherman said:

I only bring 3 or 4 fish back each trip and my family is already complaining. Are you sure your family are not pelicans?

No pelicans here, however, when I clean my fish at mum's place, there are a few seagulls and the occasional pelican about, looking for handouts.

One older pelican will grab the ignorant ones, those that will not wait in line, around the head and wrestle them to the back of the queue. Something of interest to see a pelican grab another one around the head, and the whole head and bill disappear inside the bill of the other one. The older one is not greedy, he will wait his turn for the scraps, and take the fish skeletons from my hand - occasionally he grabs too much and takes my hand into his mouth at times 🤣 - on the end of the top beak is a small hooked part that usually scrapes my hand, I assume this is to hold onto food that they scoop out of the water.

My neighbour took a photo some years ago, there were 14 pelicans on that day waiting for scraps, and it was a massive shite fight amongst them for the scraps, squawking and grabbing each other to be the head of the queue.