Lure fishing gear spin or baitcaster

BabySnapperKiller

18 hours ago, Obsessed Fisherman said:

Would I do that to you @DerekD? In all seriousness, I like to use a huge variety of lures and I don't want to be carrying ten different rods to cater for all of them. I just buy gear that works for me - I also buy the $90 braided line for 150m to protect my lures from my lunacy, and I swap these lines out every 6 to 9 months. This is probably the reason why I can use slightly heavier lures on lighter lines.

The rod indicates about line weight and lure weight, I guess risk of using heavier lure could potentially breaks the rod or? 
thought you mentions you used a better quality braid, I don't think there would be an issue of casting but just worry about the rod. Open for more opinions

22 hours ago, DerekD said:

@Mr.Wang seriously consider taking @Obsessed Fisherman up on his generous offer. It will prevent some false starts. He has a tendency to fish lines and lures heavier than I recommend (pretty sure he does it to get a reaction out of me and he has fun doing so) but I'm a little more protective of my gear.

Haha I got the same worry about whether that would break the rod (Instructions always have a meaning). 

I bought a few 20g metal perhaps that's a bit too heavy to start with.

Hi @Mr.Wang

Part of lure fishing is understanding what retrieve or setup to use to make the lure attractive to the target species. Some fish like to chase (think kings, tailor and salmon). Other fish such as flathead are an ambush predator and are waiting for your lure to come obliviously hopping past them. I like lures which give me a bit more versatility - 3 inch minnow for example. Other lures will have a better built in action - paddle tails and wriggle tails and grubs.

I use hardbody lures such as the OSP bent minnow and try to make it look like a dying fish.

People say go as light as possible on the jighead. My approach is go as light as possible to get the lure to do what you want it to do. I'm a huge fan of the 3 inch minnow which I match with TT tournament series jigheads and a size 1H hook. The weight however will change to suit. I'll start off with a 1/4oz to cover distance and especially when chasing pelagics. I'll then drop down to a 1/6oz for last casting distance but slightly more hang time. Finally I might go down for 1/8th when I want a bit more subtlety.

You are a puppet master performing to an audience you can't see. How can you make that lure do what you need it to do to get the fishes attention.

More to follow.

Derek

I took out my camera gear and got some help from friends to demonstrate how we can work different lures.

Bent Minnow: 

Sugapen lure (walking the dog): 

3" minnow (properly rigged): 

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr.Wang said:

Does the bigger sinker just play a role of how fast the line is going to drop here? Or the fish can actually "see" it

Looks like I need to get rid of my size 4,5,6 sinkers :( 

No, you’ll need your bigger sinkers when it’s rough (e.g. beach fishing) or when it’s very deep. Or if you are fishing with very active live baits when you need to manage them a little to avoid tangles, snags etc.

Like I said, a ‘heavy’ or ‘light’ sinker is relative to conditions. For general harbour bream and flathead fishing, a collection of pea to marble sized sinkers is likely more than enough for most scenarios.

I have a suspicion that fish aren’t concerned about the sinker itself, rather that the weight of the sinker affects how a bait or lure moves in the water. If it’s sinking very fast, fish might view it with suspicion. If it’s sinking naturally, then they have reason to think it is safe as a food source.

• Like 1

@DerekD

Wow. Great shoots! Guess the trick is to make the lure swim as 'real' as possible. 

Do we connect braid and leader straightaway or use swivels? 

Other things might be, how to know if there is fish underneath and we might be able to catch!

I live near Macquarie Uni and happy to travel somewhere if you happen to be nearby. I usually have some time on weekend to escape from babysitting

8 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

No, you’ll need your bigger sinkers when it’s rough (e.g. beach fishing) or when it’s very deep. Or if you are fishing with very active live baits when you need to manage them a little to avoid tangles, snags etc.

Like I said, a ‘heavy’ or ‘light’ sinker is relative to conditions. For general harbour bream and flathead fishing, a collection of pea to marble sized sinkers is likely more than enough for most scenarios.

I have a suspicion that fish aren’t concerned about the sinker itself, rather that the weight of the sinker affects how a bait or lure moves in the water. If it’s sinking very fast, fish might view it with suspicion. If it’s sinking naturally, then they have reason to think it is safe as a food source.

Thanks LF. Great advice! I truely learn a lot! Can't wait to apply this in the weekend!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr.Wang said:

I live near Macquarie Uni and happy to travel somewhere if you happen to be nearby. I usually have some time on weekend to escape from babysitting

What are you doing on Sunday? I'm thinking of trying for some topwater bream and whiting in the Drummoyne area.

Got this little 32cm specimen last Sunday on the bent minnow.

image.thumb.jpeg.24b31fbe8c5362da134e9b1ff926c596.jpeg

Edited by DerekD