Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning to Maianbar, pumped some nippers there but only pulled out a few small whiting, one just making the size.

Drifted a couple of spots for nothing, so moved to Lilli Pillis flats and drifted a few times for the bream. Released 2 more around the 30 mark, and a trevally around the 36 cm mark. I was hoping for a few whiting but nothing doing, just bream, and they had bellies full of squirt worms.

I found a couple of garfish, but they would not swim anywhere near the boat, so gave them a miss. While I was drifting the flats, a small school of what looked like salmon swam through and terrorised the bait fish.

As it was a bream day, I headed back early, and was back at base around 8am. Bream are not my favourite eating fish, but I'm not complaining.

fish.jpeg.376_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Headed out early this morning to Maianbar, pumped some nippers there but only pulled out a few small whiting, one just making the size.

Drifted a couple of spots for nothing, so moved to Lilli Pillis flats and drifted a few times for the bream. Released 2 more around the 30 mark, and a trevally around the 36 cm mark. I was hoping for a few whiting but nothing doing, just bream, and they had bellies full of squirt worms.

I found a couple of garfish, but they would not swim anywhere near the boat, so gave them a miss. While I was drifting the flats, a small school of what looked like salmon swam through and terrorised the bait fish.

As it was a bream day, I headed back early, and was back at base around 8am. Bream are not my favourite eating fish, but I'm not complaining.

fish.jpeg.376_files_files_files.jpg

Great report as always mate.I went to Windang to find wharf underwater.So went around to the other side Berkley I think?Tatty old ramp and wharf.

Maybe @Noelm can confirm where I was as I don’t know Windang that well.I usually launch at ramp at bridge.

DF4754EA-2113-4861-84A3-34E66CFC6471.jpeg

2 hours ago, noelm said:

I noticed a few Squirt worms swimming around the other day, it must be that time of year when they come out of the bottom and do whatever they do, at night there will be thousands of them swimming around.

Yep, about the time the worms start wiggling out of the sand and swimming about. Don't exactly know why they do it, as they get eaten rather quickly by the fish.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Great report as always mate.I went to Windang to find wharf underwater.So went around to the other side Berkley I think?Tatty old ramp and wharf.

Maybe @Noelm can confirm where I was as I don’t know Windang that well.I usually launch at ramp at bridge.

The view is looking south, so I'm guessing around Berkley as well. 

The tide is forecast to be a fraction higher on Saturday morning, but this morning it was much higher than the forecast height. The water was almost into my mother's boatshed, swirling about inside Gunnamatta Bay, due to the swell running outside and pushing small waves into the Hacking on the run up tide. 

37 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Still some nice quality fish in that bag, well done.

Hopefully more fish will turn up soon.

Thank you. I put the rod down for a few seconds, and the largest bream hit with a bang and nearly pulled the rod out of the boat before I grabbed it.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Yowie said:

The view is looking south, so I'm guessing around Berkley as well. 

The tide is forecast to be a fraction higher on Saturday morning, but this morning it was much higher than the forecast height. The water was almost into my mother's boatshed, swirling about inside Gunnamatta Bay, due to the swell running outside and pushing small waves into the Hacking on the run up tide. 

I’ve never seen it like that there.I should have taken a photo.

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Looks like Woolamai point? The ramp at Windang would have the jetty underwater too, there is very high tides at the moment, I use the Oak Flats ramp mainly (ski park) there's lots of ramps around the lake, most are OK, the Berkeley ramp gets crowded at times and can be tricky getting out of the channel. Did you do any good?

2 minutes ago, noelm said:

Looks like Woolamai point? The ramp at Windang would have the jetty underwater too, there is very high tides at the moment, I use the Oak Flats ramp mainly (ski park) there's lots of ramps around the lake, most are OK, the Berkeley ramp gets crowded at times and can be tricky getting out of the channel. Did you do any good?

I’ll show you on map where I went in a minute.Didnt have a serious fish as I went to mainly try my boat out.We drift fishes with prawns and squid and had a few bites,a couple of small catches whiting,bream and one decent dusky in the mid to high 40s all released.Here is the jetty and ramp from the water.BCF20A2D-F752-4C69-9097-5AE56B9B3707.thumb.jpeg.ebce1892080b828d46f3816640fa069f.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

I launched here mate and went around Goosebury island,etc.B247FD22-03CD-4E34-932B-F27B20B93BC5.thumb.jpeg.20e2c9c89543cfb99c5011bc3d5b5206.jpeg

I have bought a few prawns at times in Aish's shop, however, the owner told me that over the last few years, most of the pros are not pulling out many prawns from the lake so many do not bother prawn trawling at all. The lake prawns are usually good eating.

13 minutes ago, Yowie said:

I have bought a few prawns at times in Aish's shop, however, the owner told me that over the last few years, most of the pros are not pulling out many prawns from the lake so many do not bother prawn trawling at all. The lake prawns are usually good eating.

Use to be great prawning in the lake as you know mate.Here I’ve marked in red where I launched from and I’m guessing I should of used the ramp marked in blue?Do you or @noelmknow where I was/the name and how long it takes to get to the drop off/bevans island from there?I’m not familiar with this side I came this side about 20yrs ago I recall.

Where do I fish around here?Along the rock walls,island?It is certainly a pretty place.

Cheers.

8BB286EE-F4A5-407D-9B99-142BDDDC0065.jpeg

Edited by Fab1

Yep, that's Wollamai point ramp (well that's what I call it) it's close to the bigger Berkeley ramp. How did the boat go? Motor height better? I don't fish the lake much from the boat, mostly just drift around while crabbing, for Flathead and Whiting, I do fish for Whiting from the shore quite a bit, with worms or Nippers, and lure fish for Flathead.

42 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

@Fab1 you got a keeper! Well done! Rinse and repeat…

And well done to @Yowie for another consistent catch of bream of course.

It honestly doesn’t bother me if we end up catching anything or not mate.Heaps of times in the past I’ve caught good fish and end up releasing them or giving them to someone.We just like enjoying the day and each other’s company for what it is.The day I go fishing expecting to catch fish is the day I give the game away mate.Oh, and I like stirring @Yowieup as that young bloke is a great fisherman.

I’m South American from Uruguay mate.I’m a meat eater.Ask anyone that knows their stuff and they will tell you Uruguayans are 2 things….the best barbecuers and the best football(soccer) players.

Yes it’s called football not soccer like aussies call it in the world.Just don’t tell an Argentinian.😅😅

Edited by Fab1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

Thank you. I was half expecting him to turn up, but he instead headed further south.

Are you going to answer the door and let me in?I brought a bottle of vino to have with my bream dinner.

52 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

1.  -   the best football(soccer) players.

2  -  Yes it’s called football not soccer like aussies call it in the world.Just don’t tell an Argentinian.😅😅

1.  See how you go in the world cup.

2.  It is soccer :au:  🤣

2 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Use to be great prawning in the lake as you know mate.Here I’ve marked in red where I launched from and I’m guessing I should of used the ramp marked in blue?Do you or @noelmknow where I was/the name and how long it takes to get to the drop off/bevans island from there?I’m not familiar with this side I came this side about 20yrs ago I recall.

Where do I fish around here?Along the rock walls,island?It is certainly a pretty place.

Cheers.

8BB286EE-F4A5-407D-9B99-142BDDDC0065.jpeg

Bevans Island is a long way from where you launched today. Only problem with the lake is that it is shallow and a strong wind will kick up choppy waves.

The eastern side of the island is the Drop Off, in the channel, that is where as a young bloke I used to pull out a few nice flatties, and the occasional good whiting. The best baits were small live prawns, which does not help you if you are not camping nearby and collecting the prawns yourself during the night.