Rushcutter's - 2/12/22

Bluebenbomb

A week ago, I went to a tackle store to change out my 10lb and 8lb braid on the 2 reels. I decided to go with @DerekD's suggestion of 4lb Berkley.

I have to say, my casting distance improved dramatically.

Anyways, back to the report.

It's school holidays for me now, so I decided why not ride to Ruchcutter's for a quick session. The fishing was slow at first, but upon moving to the creek entrance, a few more bites prevailed. So I persisted, and hooked up onto a 40cm flatty. I brought some ice in my bag so was able to bring him home. Caught him on a Zman grub (greasy prawn on an 1/8th ijghead). I also brought my bait rod, and left it there, and caught another flaty at 34cms . Sorry no pics for the 34cm flatty (I don't have a phone), but I do have one for the larger flatty. 

It's always good to get out, and I think I can (hopefully) provide more reports, now that I'm more into luring.

P.S I also purchased a FC Rock Sunline 6lb leader and it breaks before the knot? Does anyone have any tying tips or anything like that?

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 6.41.02 pm.png

• Like 13

Nice little session.

I bought some 6 pound leader quite a few years ago, don't remember the brand now, but it was very weak line that I could easily break. This was raised some time ago, and some brands are just crap and overpriced.

As for me, I just use straight through 6 pound mono for small lures/nippers, no leader line at all. You could try some of the finer mono as a leader (obviously not the cheaper brands) or see what other replies turn up. 

• Like 3

When you say it breaks before the knot please clarify.

Before joiner knot or before terminal tackle (lure) knot. How much before?

What knots are you using for both locations?

Was this after you hooked the fish and if so then did you check for scuffing.

I've used FC rock before and didn't have any issues but not to say that is definitive and you could have a bad batch or there is some other factor at play.

Glad to hear you've noticed the increase in casting distance.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DerekD said:

When you say it breaks before the knot please clarify.

Before joiner knot or before terminal tackle (lure) knot. How much before?

What knots are you using for both locations?

Was this after you hooked the fish and if so then did you check for scuffing.

I've used FC rock before and didn't have any issues but not to say that is definitive and you could have a bad batch or there is some other factor at play.

Glad to hear you've noticed the increase in casting distance.

It breaks when I'm tying the FG knot and breaks just before the uni knot at the lure knot. Surprisingly, I didn't have any problems tying both of those knots when using 8lb mono (it was shimano exage mono) ?

The knot failures happened after I purchased the spool of FC and were tying the knots at home, no scuffing from flatties or anything like that. Don't know if I'm going to switch brands, maybe try berkley vanish or another fc.

P.S Thanks for recommending the Berkley braid, both my dad and I are now casting way further.

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice work Ben. Always a few flatties to be had just past the weedlines at rushcutters.

Yeah, they love the dropoff, there's a nice one just next to the creek (right hand side)

12 hours ago, Bennyg78 said:

@Bluebenbombi find the fc rock leader gets a bit weird after it’s been exposed to the weather for a session or two

Maybe it's a bad batch, but I haven't used mine at all and then the breakage happens. I will be more careful of purchasing fc rock in the future.

13 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice little session.

I bought some 6 pound leader quite a few years ago, don't remember the brand now, but it was very weak line that I could easily break. This was raised some time ago, and some brands are just crap and overpriced.

As for me, I just use straight through 6 pound mono for small lures/nippers, no leader line at all. You could try some of the finer mono as a leader (obviously not the cheaper brands) or see what other replies turn up. 

I might try 6lb mono or lower on my bait setup, to be honest, I think straight mono increases bite rates and it's easier to tie, but I don't know about the casting distance. May switch the 12lb on it for something lighter as a Christmas gift 😁.

Nice catch BlueBen! Good flatty mate👍

Personally not a fan of sunline Rock FC. But sunlines new “tornade” plasma rise leader is the absolute best leader I’ve ever tried - only been out for a month and I think it will be a game changer for rock/reef fishing or any fishing where abrasion is an issue.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

I might try 6lb mono or lower on my bait setup, to be honest, I think straight mono increases bite rates and it's easier to tie, but I don't know about the casting distance. May switch the 12lb on it for something lighter as a Christmas gift 😁.

I am currently using the Exage in 6 pound on the whiting rods.

• Like 2

With the line breaking issue, do you make sure to wet the line well before pulling the knot tight? I use 4 and 6lb line when I am trout fishing and have often snapped the line when tying knots. You have to be careful not to pull too hard as it does not take much to break line that light. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

With the line breaking issue, do you make sure to wet the line well before pulling the knot tight? I use 4 and 6lb line when I am trout fishing and have often snapped the line when tying knots. You have to be careful not to pull too hard as it does not take much to break line that light. 

@GordoRetired Yes, I lubricate the line before I tie. Maybe it's me pulling too hard when tying the line? I will try again to see if it is the case. Thanks for the tip.

17 hours ago, Pickles said:

Nice work @Bluebenbomb, I personally like the Wilson leader, but I suspect you’ll get lots f different opinions, I think you try a few overtime and tick with the brand you have confidence in.

@Pickles Agreed. It's about confidence in the brand, after all, it's just FC. I will go through more brands to sit which one suits me the best.

5 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Great catch, well done.  :1fishing1:

Thanks mate, hope I can get out more during the holidays.

23 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Good report, well done.

Nice flattie to show for it. I also run straight mono on all my set-ups unless fishing with a sinker then I will just take a section of the main line and tie that to the swivel

Thanks Isaac. Running mono is quite a good option, I will look into it (if I buy a new setup :).

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Yowie said:

I am currently using the Exage in 6 pound on the whiting rods.

I have Exage 8lb, but I think it overtests (as usual), so I may change to 6 pound (I believe that's the thinnest line in the Exage series) if I get a new setup.

22 hours ago, Rebel said:

Top report.

Nice flattie

I had problems with leaders. Went back to Berkley vanish.

Well done.

Cheers.

Thanks mate, straight mono seems to be a good option

2 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

I have Exage 8lb, but I think it overtests (as usual), so I may change to 6 pound (I believe that's the thinnest line in the Exage series) if I get a new setup.

The Exage 6 pound is quoted at 0.19mm diameter, whereas most other brands of same B/S are quoted at 0.21 or 0.23 mm, and the cheapies are 0.25mm. The top of the range Platypus monos are the same diameter as Exage.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Obsessed Fisherman said:

Nice report mate - I don't get why @Little_Flattyhasnt even shown up in this post. Dude, a flatty was caught!!!

PS: I always admire people tying FG knots! I am just too lazy and go with the uni knots. Never had my knots come loose. Caught a salmon on 6lb line and never snapped.

🤣 what do you mean? I was still one of the first posters! So a podium finish! But yes, I was off form…have been away camping.

We can fix the FG when we finally get a fish in. I had similar problems up till about a year ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Obsessed Fisherman said:

Nice report mate - I don't get why @Little_Flattyhasnt even shown up in this post. Dude, a flatty was caught!!!

PS: I always admire people tying FG knots! I am just too lazy and go with the uni knots. Never had my knots come loose. Caught a salmon on 6lb line and never snapped.

@Obsessed Fisherman, there's this tutorial showing how to tie the FG knot using your fingers instead of your mouth and it's so easy! Search up it on youtube "how to tie FG knot" and you'll be surprised - it's easy to tie, slim and breaks higher than any other leader to braid knot. I used to be scared, but trust me, it's worth it!

• Like 1

@Obsessed Fisherman, there's this tutorial showing how to tie the FG knot using your fingers instead of your mouth and it's so easy! Search up it on youtube "how to tie FG knot" and you'll be surprised - it's easy to tie, slim and breaks higher than any other leader to braid knot. I used to be scared, but trust me, it's worth it!

Totally agree, I always use an FG knot and reckon I could do it with my eyes closed now. Uni knots are good though and easier to tie on the boat in a choppy swell.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

We have a link to animated Knots here. Look in “Links” 

https://www.animatedknots.com/fishing-knots

6932AF2F-BAFA-4D6C-A2AE-251F8864E5EE.webp

• Like 1