Bream Batterers

Green Hornet

I haven't been feeling too flash over the last couple of days, but one thing that's really lifted my spirits and made me smile was yesterday's mail call. 

The postman dropped off a package of Waza's Bream Batters chip lures, plus a few others to mix things up.

I'm now itching to give these things a try and thinking Ulladulla Harbour trawler wharf, in near the fish and chip shop and picnic area the place to try them out.

Thanks so much @wazatherfishermanand @DerekDfor your efforts of putting this idea into reality, your kind gesture and refusing my offer to pay for postage.

The Raider spirit is alive and well.

Pete

IMG_0976.jpg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

So what flavour of scent are you going to use ? BBQ or Tomato sauce 😂

Just now, Green Hornet said:

It’s like you can read my mind haha. I was thinking the thicker ketchup might last a little longer.

My original idea for scent was to hit the fat fryer at the local fish and chips shop....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Pete I know I can speak for Derek and myself in saying hope you're feeling better soon and best of luck when you try the chips! Bream beware!

Thanks mate. I’m on the mend now, but it was a scary couple of days.

I’ll try and get down to Ulladulla for a bit of R and R before Christmas.

• Like 2

So I received my package the other day as well. I note that Waza's advice was to bathe the lures in a salt water solution to remove the plastic smell. So I did exactly that with one of the critters this morning...under Meadowbank Wharf 🤣

Got a few hits, no cigar unfortunately! But that is probably less the fault of the lure and more that of the angler. Exacerbating my issue is that I didn't bring any scent, as it had moved to my other bag. It might have solicited more commitment from the fish.

I have a few evil plans for the coming weeks, will see what I come up with! Thanks Waza!

• Like 5

I got mine early this week as well. super excited to give them a crack when I get the chance! thanks @wazatherfisherman and @DerekD!

I showed my wife and she was astonished at what a community we have here. it really is something special.

In terms of scent, I used to work at hungry jacks and we would drop solid blocks of lard into the deep fryer to cook the fries...I'm sure they'll work great here 

• Like 5

On 12/6/2022 at 4:24 PM, Green Hornet said:

Thanks so much @wazatherfishermanand @DerekDfor your efforts of putting this idea into reality, your kind gesture and refusing my offer to pay for postage.

The Raider spirit is alive and well.

Pete

Hi @Green Hornet,

This has been a project which has given @wazatherfisherman and myself far more back than we have put into it. It has also given us the chance to brighten up the day for some of the regular contributors to this site.

The money is inconsequential when compared to the smiles it has put on people's (mine included) faces and the excitement for the chance to try something new.

It has given Waza a fun project to take his mind over some recent stressful issues. I could hear the joy in his voice when we discussed concepts. Even if they don't work as well as we hope we are way ahead of the curve on this one.

Looking forward to getting some feedback from the well deserved recipients.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 3

Hi All,

@wazatherfisherman's bream batterer's do have real chip action. I gave one a try late last week.

After a discussion with Waza I decided to use a Gamakatsu large eye hook for my first trial. I wanted something black (no reflective shine) and with a large gape to allow the point to be exposed. This was my first attempt at rigging it up.

20221209_164639.thumb.jpg.473e57d4f8f62827020257e8498038fa.jpg

20221209_164645.thumb.jpg.47a765f4e53f2114eb1b5e8a98cc8621.jpg

The tide on the day was too low to effectively fish the place I had in mind but I still gave it a cast or two. They catch the light beautifully, cast a good distance, being soft also bounce off structure if you misjudge the cast and have a slow sink rate.

I tried another location and cast underneath the ferry wharf. This time I saw two bream (estimated mid thirty cm) race out quickly for a very close look before changing their minds. I was doing this unscented to set a base line for their effectiveness. This concept has potential.

More experimentation to be done.

Thanks for helping with this Waza.

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...