Poddie training

Pickles

I followed advice, from @jeffb5.8 and @Little_Flatty (thanks fellas), and bought a siseter 7.5 lt tub (biggest Big W had). But not sure what size hole to cut in it - I’m assuming it goes in the top and not side. Is bread the best “bait” to put in it ? I’m also assuming it needs a sinker or weight to keep it on the bottom? - do I need a float on it like a crab pot? (I put 3/8 holes around sides to aid water flow and help it sink.

Any other advice gratefully received.

Bob

• Like 1

Rather than just cut a hole, get a good knife and cut a slit in it and cut slits down the end of that slit, to enable you to push in two "wings" if you get what I mean? or if you can manage it, four wings to make a funnel kind of, a cross makes a funnel.....Bread is the best/only bait to use by far.

edit......hole in top!

Edited by noelm
  • Like 4

Hi Bob,

Here's a video just as an example: 

@noelm is right about the rules (I wasn't aware of the overall size restrictions, just the name tag hole size details). The screenshot is below but can also be accessed as per this link: Permitted and prohibited saltwater fishing methods (nsw.gov.au)

image.png.7ac2a6fd376441fc9753573e8b6b71e0.png

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep, it's always best to confirm rules and stick to them, most fisheries guys will probably not fine you for no name tag or stuff like that, but.......now and then! There is also rules for bait numbers kept, be mindful of that too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Rather than just cut a hole, get a good knife and cut a slit in it and cut slits down the end of that slit, to enable you to push in two "wings" if you get what I mean? or if you can manage it, four wings to make a funnel kind of, a cross makes a funnel.....Bread is the best/only bait to use by far.

edit......hole in top!

Cheers Noel, very helpful

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Hi Bob,

Here's a video just as an example: 

@noelm is right about the rules (I wasn't aware of the overall size restrictions, just the name tag hole size details). The screenshot is below but can also be accessed as per this link: Permitted and prohibited saltwater fishing methods (nsw.gov.au)

image.png.7ac2a6fd376441fc9753573e8b6b71e0.png

Hope this helps.

Great help - thanks

• Like 2

I have one of those “reel it in” brand clear acrylic ones - it’s build to NSW regulation size.

the clear acrylic ones catch much more fish - but downside is they are over $100 or so. They catch heaps like the photo sloth parade posted.

As soon as one goes in they all start going inside. White Bread and breadcrumbs are the go. 

Still, sometimes I just prefer to use a hand line

• Like 2

These are my best producing poddy traps. Just a cordial or juice bottle and note how the entrance hole has the downturned segments that @noelmrecommended in an above post. Try and place a couple of pieces of bread close to the entrance hole and the poddies swarm over the top of the trap and force each other into the trap. Open the lid of the bottle and simply pour the poddies into a bucket of water.

That being said they all have their day and there's times the cylindrical or glass bowl and flywire types will outfish the bottles.

Also, Noel mentioned the oyster bottles. These are only about 25cm long and 4cm diameter. You place the bread in the bottom of the bottle and lay it on the bottom, the poddy swims in and can't turn around or swim backwards to escape. I've included a pic as they must be hard to find these days.

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, noelm said:

They are near impossible to find, I used to have a few, but they have vanished! They work a treat.

You always seem to get the bigger fish in the oyster bottles, though now that you’re only allowed to set one trap they’re not the most productive.

Notice the top bottle still has the stick float for poking the bread down to the bottom.

• Like 3

As can be seen, there is a dozen ways to catch Mullet, using a wide variety of store bought, adapted devices and home made traps, and they all work. Now the issue is finding a reliable place to catch them! Where I live, they are simple to catch, I often see people catching them in "Little Lake" at high tide you catch them on the sand flats, at low tide, any holes or small channels will hold plenty. Avoid burley that floats, any Seagulls circling and swimming around to eat the bread will keep small Mullet away. I sometimes use a trap, along with a small float and tiny hook, at times you will catch them as they check out the trap, just squeeze a little bit of bread into the hook, use a small float, even a little bit of cork works, and cast it near the trap.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

These are my best producing poddy traps. Just a cordial or juice bottle and note how the entrance hole has the downturned segments that @noelmrecommended in an above post. Try and place a couple of pieces of bread close to the entrance hole and the poddies swarm over the top of the trap and force each other into the trap. Open the lid of the bottle and simply pour the poddies into a bucket of water.

That being said they all have their day and there's times the cylindrical or glass bowl and flywire types will outfish the bottles.

Also, Noel mentioned the oyster bottles. These are only about 25cm long and 4cm diameter. You place the bread in the bottom of the bottle and lay it on the bottom, the poddy swims in and can't turn around or swim backwards to escape. I've included a pic as they must be hard to find these days.

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

Cheers Noel

• Like 2

Do you ever find that when you get to a likely spot and set your trap that every duck and seagull in the southern hemisphere seems to magically appear 😂.

I got to the stage where I was going to make up a basket out of chicken wire that I could place on the shore away from where I was catching bait and stuff a couple of loaves of bread in it to keep the damned ducks away . That should keep them amused long enough for me to get a few poddies .

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, XD351 said:

Do you ever find that when you get to a likely spot and set your trap that every duck and seagull in the southern hemisphere seems to magically appear 😂.

I got to the stage where I was going to make up a basket out of chicken wire that I could place on the shore away from where I was catching bait and stuff a couple of loaves of bread in it to keep the damned ducks away . That should keep them amused long enough for me to get a few poddies .

I find poddies are really easy to catch in some places, and impossible in others. For instance, there are plenty of poddies in the Parra, but I have never once caught one there in spite of trying. Narrabeen lake, on the other hand, has stacks of them and they are quite easy to catch provided that you have a small enough hook, or an appropriate trap.

I wonder if it is a species thing. Sea mullet are famously hard to catch, whilst sand mullet will take most baits readily. I have a suspicion the Narrabeen variety are sand mullet.

If I could crack the code on poddies in the Parra, I'd be bait fishing more.

• Like 1

The only place where I used to get poddies was north ridge boat ramp and they were a hit and miss thing at the best of times . When I was a kid I remember catching them out of the canal just west of the meadowbank bridge , we were using size 14 45401/2 mustad  hooks ( sadly no longer made ) and bread for bait . I think the wash from the river cats make life real difficult to set a trap so you need to look at locations where it is protected from this .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

The only place where I used to get poddies was north ridge boat ramp and they were a hit and miss thing at the best of times . When I was a kid I remember catching them out of the canal just west of the meadowbank bridge , we were using size 14 45401/2 mustad  hooks ( sadly no longer made ) and bread for bait . I think the wash from the river cats make life real difficult to set a trap so you need to look at locations where it is protected from this .

Interesting. I’m sure I’ve tried berley it up the canals before, but I’ll have another look on the next high tide that I can get down there.

• Like 1