garfish session Wednesday (14/12/22)

JayC Fisho

Had a bit of free time after school, decided to go out and stock up some garfish for future pelagic sessions off the rocks

headed to a nearby spot where the wind is not that strong with my uncle 

Started at 4:00 this arvo, we fished for about an hour n half, got around 30 which is quite enough and two guys began flyer surfing right in front of us so we decided to call it a day.

Used bread as bait on iso rig on a hand pole rod ( telescopic ) 

5EA7CE5C-1D3C-4C6C-BE9C-78C413265BAD.jpeg

Edited by JayC Fisho
  • Like 14

23 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Well done, awesome bag of garfish. What rig do you use? I've been told 3m of fluro then roughly put the float stopper 2m above the swivel, but is it true that with burleying, garfish are present much higher in the water column?

I used a 5m telescopic rod, and then tied a 5m 3lb leader to the rod tip ( no reel) . On the leader around 3m above the hook I have 3 fixed tiny floating beads, with around 8 cm between each bead.  They have a super small buoyancy close to the neutral point, and when garfish bites till the second bead sinks I set the hook. Hook is a tiny long shank hook i bought from overseas. Next time I fish for garfish i'll remember to take a picture of the whole rig. 

Fishing Surfcasting Floating Beads Oval 15 mm Red - Decathlon

• Like 3

Use as bait ??? Over my dead body 😂😂😂. They wouldn’t get past the griller!

Nah but seriously they are my favourite flathead bait- if I don’t eat them all first ! 
Anyone tried to pickle them ? 

Some of those long rods are super expensive and I mean on par with  a big shimano stella expensive !

Edited by XD351
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, XD351 said:

Use as bait ??? Over my dead body 😂😂😂. They wouldn’t get past the griller!

Nah but seriously they are my favourite flathead bait- if I don’t eat them all first ! 
Anyone tried to pickle them ? 

Some of those long rods are super expensive and I mean on par with  a big shimano stella expensive !

Haha yeah, the shimano, daiwa and gama ones cost a fortune. I got mine from aliexpress, it only costs $180 including shipping and its only 160g whilst being 5m long

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JayC Fisho said:

Haha yeah, the shimano, daiwa and gama ones cost a fortune. I got mine from aliexpress, it only costs $180 including shipping and its only 160g whilst being 5m long

I saw some really cheap ones - don't know if they're any good. I also talked to some fishos using the long rods, and they said they got the telescopic one off aliexpress for $20!

• Like 1