Delayed report from 29/11/22 Clontarf- the addiction continues

Bennyg78

Hi all

Apologies for the late report, not long back from family holiday in WA.

Anyway before I went away I was keen for a top water flick using a new rod I had won in a competition a miller rods flats freak.

I decided to head to Clontarf beach and hit the flats early, my plan was to hit the big sand flat on the early parts of the run out and wading and walking the flats and make my way slowly round to the beach.

I got to the sandflat at about 5 am and rigged up a slippery dog 60 and began to wade out, I could see lots of activity in the water by the way of boils and bait jumping good signs indeed. Two casts out out and I was onto a nice bream realising I had forgot my phone and brag mat, quick release and hes back in.

A few more casts and some decent hits but no hook ups. 

Anyway during this time I am constantly walking and casting walking and casting, I hook up to something and it feels kinda weird, I reel in and I have caught my first top water Mullet,😁 Weird indeed.

I keep casting to no avail, grab a quick coffee from the cafe which is now open and move to the beach grabbing my phone and brag mat on the way.

I decide to keep the slippery dog on as it was getting some decent attention from the fish before and I need to head home about 7.45 am so time is of the essence

First cast past the ocean bathers and almighty boof my lure gets hit by something hard and after the that nice whirring sound of the drag running and a short fight I pull in a nice aussie salmon, quick photo and release. At this stage I am so pumped I call @DerekD to express my excitement very early in the morning (7am)., luckily hes up and I didn't wake him. 

Straight after our call another cast and another big water explosion and I have another Salmon on. I did try to release this one but not too sure it was doing so well when it swam off.

To complete the session I had this agro Taylor come and smash the slippery dog on the other side of the Baths on the way back to the car.

What a cracker of a session and the Top water addiction grows and continues!! 

salmon1.jpg

salmon2.jpg

taylor3.jpg

• Like 18

2 hours ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Well done @Bennyg78 on the sambo, especially on lure. I may try to fit in a session at Clontarf - I walked the Spit to Manly walk recently with friends and noticed the sand flats there - seems like a prime luring spot.

It’s a really lovely spot with a variety of options from flats to deep water to the boats moored( if you can cast far enough).

My tip would be to get there early to avoid the crowds and the people with dogs in the off leash area

15 hours ago, Pickles said:

Well done @Bennyg78, Salmon give a great account of themselves - love to watch them jump when hooked. Great report - did you get to go fishing in WA?

I would have loved too but had the family in two so didn't get a chance. We were in busselton and the jetty there is 1.7 km long and covered in squid ink from start to finish from people jigging for squid, the local tackle shop guy was telling me about the sampsonfish they get running along the jetty... so maybe next time

• 4 months later...
On 12/16/2022 at 10:50 AM, Bennyg78 said:

I would have loved too but had the family in two so didn't get a chance. We were in busselton and the jetty there is 1.7 km long and covered in squid ink from start to finish from people jigging for squid, the local tackle shop guy was telling me about the sampsonfish they get running along the jetty... so maybe next time

how far do you have to wade out on a run out tide for fish?