Redfin feed

2nd part of report from 23/12

After a cracker of a morning on the streams, we headed to Oberon Dam for the afternoon. Launched the Kayaks from the Reef, and peddled/paddled across the lake. Trolled for a while with a few isolated redfin.

After about an hour on the water we located a school of fish, and from there it was nearly a fish a cast. Most were around 15 cm but there was a few around the 25cm mark and one 33cm that put up a good tussle. My mate also landed a 35cm model. Got between 20-30 all up.

All fish caught on the Atomic Crank.

Cleared a few pests out of the system and ended up with a good feed (brown trout in esky photo was from the morning session).

20221225_162304.png

20221223_182426.jpg

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

Cheers @Yowie, I'd rate them better than trout for eating. They have nice firm flesh, almost like a flathead for texture.

I would agree @R E G I C Y C L E they are delicious eating and much better than trout. 
We will be down at Lake Hume and Lake Mulwala in a few weeks and intend to catch dozens of them and take some for the plate. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

I would agree @R E G I C Y C L E they are delicious eating and much better than trout. 
We will be down at Lake Hume and Lake Mulwala in a few weeks and intend to catch dozens of them and take some for the plate. 

I enjoy experimenting with cooking redfin, they are such a plague that it doesn't feel like you are wasting fish even if it doesn't go as planned

Good luck down south!

Thanks for the report. I recall catching redfin in Barren Box swamp back when I were a lad in the 70's. Water was so clear you could sight cast back then.

My question is - how would you prepare Redfin for the table?

Thanks, Hoods

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hoods said:

I'm a big fan of hot smoking whole fish. I generally stuff the fish with tuscan seasoning, a slice or two of lemon, and a spread of butter. 10-20 mins on the hot smoker wrapped in foil and you are done! I don't bother scaling Redfin as they have very coarse scales which come off easily with the skin. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hoods said:

Thanks for the report. I recall catching redfin in Barren Box swamp back when I were a lad in the 70's. Water was so clear you could sight cast back then.

Thanks, Hoods

I usually shallow fry them whole and the skin comes off very easily leaving a really nice white flesh. Some bones but easily dealt with Andrew. Hope you're well mate. All the best for 2023.

bn

• Like 1