Bate Bay and south

Yowie

Headed out past the bombie this morning, dropping down before sunrise. Not much swell, left over small wind waves from yesterday's nor-easter and very little wind, so not much drift. Fishing around 150 foot deep.

Dropped over a soft plastic as well, hit the bottom, lift up and fish on straight away. A shovelnose, and the only hit on the plastic.

Plenty of spikeys on bait. Moved a bit further south, and eventually found 2 blue spots in 2 different locations amongst the hoard of spikeys. The wind dropped to nothing so little drift.

Headed to Little Marley, no wind but a southerly drift. Tried the 200 foot mark, nothing doing, so headed in a bit. Pulled up the remaining 4 blue spots. A little puff of wind from the nor-east sprung up, so headed home, otherwise it would be a bumpy trip in a small boat against the wind chop. Back at base a little after 8.

fish.jpeg.381_files_files_files.jpg

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Always enjoy reading your reports mate.Well done.

Thank Fab.

29 minutes ago, Crabstar said:

Always a good feed.

heading out tomorrow to load up on the flatties, was at the Hawkesbury today misses got a good Jew. I got zilch.

much boat traffic out there today?

Plenty of boats outside. One boat seemed to follow me to a couple of spots, he dropped in close to me. The wind is due to pick up early tomorrow, so you will need to be out early.

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Nice job Dave - good feed there.

Thanks Bob, a couple of feeds to be had.

4 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Dave!

pristine fillets and you avoided the holiday madness!

Thanks Rob.  Apart from Thursday, nor-easters are forecast for every day over the next 6 or 7 days. That will bump up a mongrel wind chop. 

When I returned to Gunnamatta Bay, speed boats and jet skis were just roaring up and down, all the time. Would not be pleasant trying to fish in amongst that.

Nice catch!

I was out around there too - with a mate.

How’d you find the drift speed at that time?

plenty of baitfish around the bommie - but nothing much biting.

soo much traffic today - Over an hour to get back in at the ramp - waiting for boats/skis. never again on a public holiday lol.

11 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Nice catch!

I was out around there too - with a mate.

How’d you find the drift speed at that time?

plenty of baitfish around the bommie - but nothing much biting.

soo much traffic today - Over an hour to get back in at the ramp - waiting for boats/skis. never again on a public holiday lol.

Took a little while to find a few.

Drift speed was slow without a breeze, however, there was a bit of drift off Little Marley, no breeze, south bound. The warmer current is heading south.

I dropped a plastic around the bombie at half light, but nothing. Unusual to have a shovelnose grab the plastic, as soon as it hit the bottom I wound up but the shovelnose had already grabbed hold.

12 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Took a little while to find a few.

Drift speed was slow without a breeze, however, there was a bit of drift off Little Marley, no breeze, south bound. The warmer current is heading south.

I dropped a plastic around the bombie at half light, but nothing. Unusual to have a shovelnose grab the plastic, as soon as it hit the bottom I wound up but the shovelnose had already grabbed hold.

Opposite of what we had - drift was way too fast at midday. Not much wind until we left, but the current was strong.