Passers-by

DexterCatt

Happy New Year fishraiders.

On new year's eve, I took my early-teens son down to South Maroubra in the hope of getting some Whiting on light gear in the late arvo. There was no one in the water aside from a couple of surfers out the back. There wasn't much happening in the way of bites, but there was a reasonable amount of pedestrian movement, with a few stopping for a quick good-willed chat. At one point a couple stopped to enquire how i was going - using almost entirely gestures and facial expressions. They looked perhaps 60 or 70, of East Asian origin, and as far as I could tell had no English. The gentleman did most of the communicating wirh smiles and movements and thumbs up. I'd shown them my remaining, still wriggling tube worms which seemed to impress, and we settled that I was hoping for a fish of about 40 cm by outstretched hands (we can hope). Anyway they stood back and watched for about three minutes when I got my only bite, and not a big one. I reeled in to excited oohs and aahs, the line went slack, and I felt disappointment for them. I kept retreiving in case the fish had run toward me and the little weight came back on the line to produce a shining, pretty little Dart of maybe 25 cm including fins. Truly a little fish but my first Dart all the same (pic attached). My son had come over for a look and my new companions were very excited, with big smiles and regular thumbs up. This isn't really a fishing report and what came next is my reason for writing. 

As I was removing the hook from the fish's mouth with intention of returning it, the lady spoke for the first time with "give me, please", somewhat insistently. Still smiling, I quickly thought it through - no legal size for Dart, how am I going to explain catch and release as an ethic, make a friendly stranger happy. 

So I put the fish in a little bag that she had ready. She smiled and nodded and said thank you about four times,  and they walked off, with the man turning to wave and give a thumbs up two or three more times. 

So my son remarked that there wasn't much of a feed in such a little fish. I ageed, but I added that they seemed well pleased with it. We went on to speculate that it was quite possible that they had first hand, or at least generational memory of true famine, and that might explain why a live fish of any size is a prize to them. Or at least why their culture prizes the keeping and eating of small fish. 

And one last thing occurs to me as I write. These cultural factors may explain why some people from some communities may keep fish in contavention of size and bag limits. 

Let me also remark that such practices are not limited to any stereotype. And in every case information and education are the first steps. I can assure readers that if the fish was legally undersized of another species, it would have gone in the water. 

Thanks for reading and good will to you. 

DC. 

IMG_20230103_110359.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

An interesting post Dexter, the subject of which has tweaked my interest more than once. I live in the Riverina area of NSW and often when I have fished the Murrumbidgee River there has been an Asian couple fishing near to where I launch my boat. I talk to most people that I encounter and despite their non fluency in English I have worked out that they usually catch Carp and keep them. I have given them Carp which I have caught and killed, many times...I assume they take them home to eat.

During my travels to coastal areas of NSW and Victoria I have noted many different people who keep small fish. Not being one to be confrontational, I have simply assumed that they come from countries where they are not blessed by the numbers and sizes of fish that we enjoy here in Australia.

One final question for you. Are you related to Greg Catt who lives in the Richmond / Windsor area of Sydney?

bn

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Great report.

You will probably find those people moved on to the next fishing guy & did the same thing.

That's how they get a free feed.

Cheers.

...that did occur to me Rebel. Not much reward for investment for them if true. And perfect timing. 

Cheers. 

I do catch & release sometimes, especially tailor at the beach & illegal fish & throwbacks.

You wouldn't believe the abuse from passers by who can't mind their own business

One thing I have learnt. Fish at sunrise when there are no invaders around to annoy you or go rock fishing.

Better still have your German Shepherd beside you.

Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rebel said:

You wouldn't believe the abuse from passers by who can't mind their own business

Sorry to hear that Rebel. If you don't mind me asking, what is the abuse about, is it the catching, or the releasing or both, or just the fishing? 

On 1/3/2023 at 1:31 PM, DexterCatt said:

Happy New Year fishraiders.

On new year's eve, I took my early-teens son down to South Maroubra in the hope of getting some Whiting on light gear in the late arvo. There was no one in the water aside from a couple of surfers out the back. There wasn't much happening in the way of bites, but there was a reasonable amount of pedestrian movement, with a few stopping for a quick good-willed chat. At one point a couple stopped to enquire how i was going - using almost entirely gestures and facial expressions. They looked perhaps 60 or 70, of East Asian origin, and as far as I could tell had no English. The gentleman did most of the communicating wirh smiles and movements and thumbs up. I'd shown them my remaining, still wriggling tube worms which seemed to impress, and we settled that I was hoping for a fish of about 40 cm by outstretched hands (we can hope). Anyway they stood back and watched for about three minutes when I got my only bite, and not a big one. I reeled in to excited oohs and aahs, the line went slack, and I felt disappointment for them. I kept retreiving in case the fish had run toward me and the little weight came back on the line to produce a shining, pretty little Dart of maybe 25 cm including fins. Truly a little fish but my first Dart all the same (pic attached). My son had come over for a look and my new companions were very excited, with big smiles and regular thumbs up. This isn't really a fishing report and what came next is my reason for writing. 

As I was removing the hook from the fish's mouth with intention of returning it, the lady spoke for the first time with "give me, please", somewhat insistently. Still smiling, I quickly thought it through - no legal size for Dart, how am I going to explain catch and release as an ethic, make a friendly stranger happy. 

So I put the fish in a little bag that she had ready. She smiled and nodded and said thank you about four times,  and they walked off, with the man turning to wave and give a thumbs up two or three more times. 

So my son remarked that there wasn't much of a feed in such a little fish. I ageed, but I added that they seemed well pleased with it. We went on to speculate that it was quite possible that they had first hand, or at least generational memory of true famine, and that might explain why a live fish of any size is a prize to them. Or at least why their culture prizes the keeping and eating of small fish. 

And one last thing occurs to me as I write. These cultural factors may explain why some people from some communities may keep fish in contavention of size and bag limits. 

Let me also remark that such practices are not limited to any stereotype. And in every case information and education are the first steps. I can assure readers that if the fish was legally undersized of another species, it would have gone in the water. 

Thanks for reading and good will to you. 

DC. 

Maybe they make a stew or curry out of the fish, in which case there's plenty of liquid along with a little meat. That's certainly how fish(and meat) is eaten in the Eastern and Southern India. 

22 hours ago, HawkesburyParadise said:

Maybe they make a stew or curry out of the fish, in which case there's plenty of liquid along with a little meat. That's certainly how fish(and meat) is eaten in the Eastern and Southern India. 

..yes that would maximise the yield. 

On 1/3/2023 at 4:40 PM, Rebel said:

I do catch & release sometimes, especially tailor at the beach & illegal fish & throwbacks.

One thing I have learnt. Fish at sunrise when there are no invaders around to annoy you or go rock fishing.

Better still have your German Shepherd beside you.

Cheers.

Interesting encounter @Rebel, When I used to fish the beach and rocks I had several similar very confronting encounters with bold and aggressive folk who accused me of “murdering naturalistic kindred spirits with whom we were linked by shared cosmic energies” - and I would certainly be punished for my indiscretions. This happened more than once, at first I ignored it, then I began to remind them of Gods direction to mankind in Genesi 1:26-28 
“ God said to them, be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves upon the earth”. (Of course this also requires a responsible and balanced approach to conservation and ensuring future resources exist for our kids and grand kids etc to enjoy).
Having a boat now means I haven’t had these encounters fora while and I clean all my fish at home now out of sight of others.

• Like 2

I am no greenie or tree hugger, but.....I don't see the sense in keeping fish "just because" then dumping them later when you can't be bothered cleaning them! I keep what I want/need (within the law of course) but I have been abused by tourists at the cleaning table when I have been out on a "bait supply" day, and have Slimies or Stripey Tuna and fillet them (rather roughly) and put them in bags, they seem to think I am some kind of killer/black marketer  or something (maybe they're right?) I have nothing at all against catch and release, or catch and keep, as long as it's what you actually are going to eat, use for bait or give to a friend who might not fish. Times are tough enough to keep and maintain a boat, put fuel in it and spend time fishing, without a lecture at the ramp.

edit.....a classic example was in the "old days" when Dolphin fish had no size limit, it was common to see boxes of small ones dumped at the cleaning tables when it was realised that a small "Dollie" returned next to no flesh, or they got tired of cleaning them!

Edited by noelm
  • Like 2

I agree with Noelm on this if you're  not going to use it don't kill it,some of the fish I see some people keeping  are not good eating .I am fairly fussy with what I keep even flounder are given to elderly friends as we won't eat it in my house. It reminds me of going hunting as a young bloke my mate shot a roo and just left it there. it seemed cruel and stupid to me and no I'm  not a greenie

• Like 3

Atleast this story is better than getting told off by locals that what im doing is illegal and threatening to call rangers on you.

But thats another story in itself.

They more than most likely made soup with it and eat it with white rice, Thats how us asians make the most of a fish. My parents always berate me for wasting fish when i fillet a flatty for fish and chips for my kids

• Thanks 1