Narooma Bar. (Close Call)

Blackfish

Its been like it for weeks, to add to this there's a very shallow sandbar on the southern side forcing boats to have to take on the bigger sea's on the northern side. Two people were thrown from another charter boat in bigger conditions than this a few weeks before. 

The swell was at 1.8m on the day, so copping a big set like this was very unfortunate for my daughter, Yes it was my daughter who skippers that vessel and my other young fishing buddy as the decky. The passengers had been asked to remain in their seats but when one decided to get out of his seat to take a look, it related a domino effect with other passengers sliding into his gap.

The following day my daughter copped abuse from clients after canceling her trips due the the swell reading over 2m.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

Thanks for the input Jon.

Dealing with some of the Public at times. Aieeeeeee.

Yes especially dealing with them 7 days per week doing three trips per day. Even Xmas day my daughter was working all daylight hours. 

It's an extremely hard call as that was the second trip heading out for the day for her. Driving from the flybridge they have a clear view even before they reach the bend in the bar. In the start of the video you will notice a set of large waves had just finished, which my daughter was observing as she approached the entrance, hence why it seemed like she just went straight for it. 

I've been out twice in the last three months, both times the bar was extremely bad and both times I had wished for more than 90hp on my 15ft boat to help me get through it. Its been so long since Ive been out due to the conditions that Ive lost a fair amount of my confidence crossing the bar now, wish I still had the zodiac.

• Like 2

Sounds like she's doing some hard yards there Jon.

Does she have a plan for the next step.

A lady I worked with up in the Kimberleys, her son was one of the youngest to get a Masters 5 and ended up driving one of the big Kimberley boats.

• Like 2

Been over Narooma dozens of times, and as Jon has noted, it was worse before hand, in a funny way, that is fairly typical of Narooma bar, the sand bar makes things "interesting" at the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Sounds like she's doing some hard yards there Jon.

Does she have a plan for the next step.

A lady I worked with up in the Kimberleys, her son was one of the youngest to get a Masters 5 and ended up driving one of the big Kimberley boats.

She did her masters 5 too, apparently she was told also she was the youngest to of done it!!!!....18 at the time, she's now 22.

Before even leaving school she had offers to work with offshore mining skippering various boats. Id like her to do something else but she won't budge from what's she's doing. She's at the boat at 4am and not home until around 10pm most days. Doing the night tours with the bar like it is gives me great concern. 

• Like 4

I guess the biggest step would be something like a tug skipper, then maybe up to a ship of some kind? I had a good mate who was a tug skipper for years, loved the job, he tried ships, but went back to a tug.

Edited by noelm

31 minutes ago, noelm said:

I guess the biggest step would be something like a tug skipper, then maybe up to a ship of some kind? I had a good mate who was a tug skipper for years, loved the job, he tried ships, but went back to a tug.

She has been offered tug boat work as well as personal carrier vessels. Her younger sister is working at the mines in WA doing what she loves too, she removes and releases wildlife from the trenches around the mines, plenty of king browns.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

This is the shallow sandbank which many trailer boats are now hitting at low tide. If you hit it on a day when the bar has swell it could end badly and is the reason boats are heading into the the rougher north side of the bar. Personally with my small more agile boat, I cross tight to the southern side just missing the rocks off the wall which clears me of the fast running pressure waves. 

Of course in these shots its pretty flat.

_JDP2958.thumb.JPG.c82690934c32b23c21e48dc2f37deea7.JPGJust 

_JDP2960.thumb.JPG.c332a491f4db327206ca8b2ca80bfbf4.JPG_JDP2963.thumb.JPG.3c7c98a63bcd297d3f31a837418ffa41.JPGJust 

• Like 3

I have been through the bar many times but when it is pumping I choose Bermi to head out, OR go back to bed and have a lazy day.

Jon I have been a huge fan of your daughter for a few years ( since she was a kid ) and admire her for her achievements.

Frank

• Like 2