Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out with my mate yesterday arvo in his boat. A bit of swell and wind chop.

Drifted in several spots for the 2 blue spots, and a million spikies. Spikies hitting the baits as soon as you drop down.

A little while before sunset, we anchored over a reef. Slow going with a few pike, then yakkas and slimies turned up after sunset. Cut up the slimies and they produced the tailor near dark. The baker swallowed the hook, so it was kept, will try to remove a clean section of fillet without the bones. They have many fine pin bones.

Better than nothing, the tailor will be a change for the plate. Biggest tailor at 42cm, same for the flatties.

fish.jpeg.383_files_files_files.jpg

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

Some good table material there. How do you rate baker for eating?

Average eating. I managed to remove a small section off the fillets with no bones, so will pan fry it with the flattie fillets. The rest of the fillet are being salted for bait. Too many fine bones.

1 hour ago, LuckyFil said:

The tailor go great in a smoker if you have one

I may still have a smoker somewhere  :064:  , however, I have a couple of recipes that I use at times for the tailor fillets.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice bag Yowie!

I have the boat up at Pittwater doing some work on it. Spent the day flicking nippers and checking out spots.  Nice waterway!

Thank you.

One spot I don't fish is up there, though I did have a fish with Pickles last year in the Hawkesbury.

Just now, Larkin said:

Good size tailor!
Turned up just in time to save the day! 

2 hours drifting for 2 blue spots - they are a bit scarce - might have to eat the spikies instead. 😂

Yes, the tailor were welcome.

On 1/10/2023 at 3:40 PM, R E G I C Y C L E said:

Interesting. I've seen a few caught and thrown back, and I've always been a bit curious about their table quality. 

Well, I tried a couple of slim baker fillets, so as to avoid the many bones, and I have not changed my view, very average with not much flavour.