Central Coast NSW - Big mud crab caught :D

TheFishosGrill

G'day fishos!

Headed to Central Coast NSW yesterday to shoot a new video for the channel.
Hoda was adamant to bring the hand line for the mud crabs since Brisbane Waters are trap banned.

We rocked up at around 12pm, I set up my rod with a simple paternoster rig (too be honest I prefer bait fishing over casting plastics/lures) to try my luck for some flatties. 
Hoda ran a running sinker rotating bait between prawn/pilchard/mullet.

I set the handline with a old mullet strip I had in the freezer, put it on the ground and waited for it to walk.

After catching a whole bunch of little turd fish, the handline decided to walk.
I grabbed the line and started to pull in, was giving a nice tug of war battle back and forward and when it was almost to the top it dropped off... OK no worries we go again.

An hour later it decided to walk again.... slowly started to retrieve and again... dropped off WTF!!!!

2 hours later, 2 more attempts we still couldn't land this crab... No change in tactics, was talking to a few locals about the channel etc and the handline walked again.
Pulling the line up, my GoPro goes dead. Hoda's GoPro still running and eventually WE GOT IT!!! pulled it up to the top as she netted it from underneath and we were in businesses! next
Definitely over 2KG, he was a big buck...

All recorded and will be on the channel next week for everyone to enjoy. Only issue is I accidently formatted her GoPro before transferring so using some data recovery software to get it back (If anyone knows any reliable software pleaseeee tell me! we have most of the footage on the bigger camera but would love to get the rest of the pull up :()

Here is a teaser photo.

Last year we managed to handline 7 big mud crabs.. hoping this year we can get some more!

Don't forget guys, check out the channel on the below.

TheFishosGrill YouTube

Would love if you can like and subscribe :)

Thanks all
Matt

Mud.jpg

• Like 13

Cheers guys..

Will upload the video on the catch and cook next week.

I've also heard too and can confirm true that when its rusty they haven't shed for awhile meaning yes... its full of meat!
Went back out tonight, got snapped off by another, and ran out of mullet.