Another recce of the river

big Neil

Another scorcher of a day predicted so I was at the ramp by 7 am this morning. Decided on a bait session after the 5 hour donut on the lures, previous trip. Apart from the bait fishing I was keen to see how the techniques for catching Cod may have changed.

The river is still a metre or two higher than this time in pre flood situations, but it is dropping very quickly...a signal for Cod being off the bite. Sure enough they weren't playing. I had 2 bites in 5 hours and caught two fish (a Trout Cod of 54cms, and a Carp of 40cms). A pretty poor day BUT I did learn a few more things about the river and the fishing...

A very healthy Trout Cod of 54cms, caught on a cocktail of cheese and salami

IMG_4162rs.thumb.jpg.2bf6d80e4428b6cab02e886c5f821242.jpg

Some scenic shots to pass the time away... Fishing this fast flowing water is where I got the Trout Cod...

IMG_4164rs.thumb.jpg.188c5a9ec19b460e2a08cdd919bf5bdf.jpg

I tried the slower back waters...nothing!

IMG_4165rs.thumb.jpg.9527ce2505794c9fbcb6259d5c9d4f44.jpg

An unexplored area downstream of the ramp...

IMG_4167rs.thumb.jpg.afa699ae709d2cffb934754807a59b7a.jpg

Even the tree roots produced nothing except lost gear...

IMG_4168rs.thumb.jpg.64548290648b1885f88abb1204114e2e.jpg

A likely looking area, but only a Carp here??

IMG_4170rs.thumb.jpg.71776ac1af0de8b3fa4fc96e1c6fa59b.jpg

IMG_4172rs.thumb.jpg.e83443148365f0812a9f2f730a53df18.jpg

IMG_4174rs.thumb.jpg.0d56ba47d35e0919976c63365755fc6b.jpg

IMG_4175rs.thumb.jpg.49f5a1513348cc699c72a1a1637c9d75.jpg

The river has changed quite a lot and so have the feeding habits of the Cod. They are now actively seeking food in the fast flowing water, prior to the floods this wasn't the case. Still working on trying to crack the code, so next week I will do a recce of the Narrandera region, where I often fish, to see what changes have occurred there.

Hoping to find some increased water height happening soon that will bring the fish on the bite. Thanks for reading, bn

Edited by big Neil
correction
  • Like 12

8 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Nice fish and pics BN. I see your rod that Wazza built rigged up in the boat. Did you catch the trout cod on it?

Alas no it was on the other rod. Yet to christen it on any native species...won't be long, hopefully. It actually put a decent bend in the 10-15kg rod as it took off for the snags. Would have been a nice test out for Wazas rod.  bn

Edited by big Neil
more info...
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

Nice Trout Cod Neil. Are they becoming more common down your way?

The Fisheries at Narrandera used to stock the Murrumbidgee River with Trout Cod since about 2000. They have stopped stocking as the Trout Cod are self reproducing and increasing in numbers. They are very aggressive, don't grow as big as Murray Cod , but give a good account of themselves. They are now widespread over most NSW and Victoria rivers and impoundments. They will still be classed as "endangered" for some time, but are well on the way to self sufficiency.

Interestingly the DPI (Fisheries) used to electro check for particular fish numbers in various waters. I had a conducted tour round the site and it was explained that they no longer do that. Nowadays they just take samples of the water from various areas and test each sample. They are able to tell how many of each species were in the sample via DNA.

bn

Edited by big Neil
more info
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Yowie said:

Not a lot of fish b.n., but a good day out with the scenery to top it off.

The water is moving at pace in the photos.

Thanks Yowie. Still good water flow in the river although you can imagine what it was like when it was 8m deeper. Plenty of new nooks and crannies to explore so that will hold my interest, even if I don't catch many fish.

bn

On 1/15/2023 at 10:11 PM, big Neil said:

The Fisheries at Narrandera used to stock the Murrumbidgee River with Trout Cod since about 2000. They have stopped stocking as the Trout Cod are self reproducing and increasing in numbers. They are very aggressive, don't grow as big as Murray Cod , but give a good account of themselves. They are now widespread over most NSW and Victoria rivers and impoundments. They will still be classed as "endangered" for some time, but are well on the way to self sufficiency.

Interestingly the DPI (Fisheries) used to electro check for particular fish numbers in various waters. I had a conducted tour round the site and it was explained that they no longer do that. Nowadays they just take samples of the water from various areas and test each sample. They are able to tell how many of each species were in the sample via DNA.

bn

Thanks for the info 👍 

Great to see the natives bouncing back from the overfishing of the last century 

Edited by R E G I C Y C L E
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bessell1955 said:

BN your photographer skills are unsurpassed! 

Glad you like them. Fairly easy to capture something interesting on the river when the vista round the next bend produces something different. Cheers, bn

• Like 1