Donut day

Report from 14th.

A busy schedule for the weekend meant the only chance to fish was early Saturday morning. Asked a mate if he would like to hit the streams early and he was keen.

Left home 430am and hit the Coxs just before 6am, at a spot we have both fished before. My mate started with his fly rod and I started with the spin rod. I quickly realized there was a lot more weed than last time I fished this spot and the average water depth was around half a meter, so out came the fly rod with a dry fly.

Didn't take long for my mate to hook up, and after a nice little fight, we netted a 30cm tiger trout! Awesome to see, beautiful fish. Swam off strongly after a quick pic.

I had a few takes on the dry fly, but unfortunately failed to set the hook... it's progress though I guess.

Plenty of fish around but they were easily spooked and weren't really playing the game.

Moved to a new spot that neither of us had fished, but unfortunately the water was slow moving and off colour with a lot of weed. By this stage I was really keen to get a fish so I was back on the spin gear I know and trust. Had some hits but no hookups.

Left at 9am as we had other commitments for the day. My first donut session in a while, although I can't complain as I have had some good fish recently.

It's now more than a week since I've caught trout and the withdrawal symptoms are setting in. 🤞I can go trouting next weekend, otherwise it will be a while before the next report.

20230114_055852.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

It happens to all of us.

Better luck next time.

Cheers.

Cheers Rebel, wasn't long ago for me that most days were donut days.

2 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Some days are Diamonds and some days are ......

Beautiful marked Trout.

It was a beauty, I'm glad it was the one fish that we caught!

On 1/16/2023 at 5:30 PM, big Neil said:

I'd never heard of a Tiger Trout, what a lovely looking fish. At least, collectively, you caught something. bn

Cheers Neil, tigers are a sterile cross breed between a brook trout and a brown trout. They do occur naturally in Tas and North America but are rare.

DPI has been stocking them in dams up our way the last 2 years to try combat the redfin plague. Tigers are more aggressive than bows and browns, and actively feed on other fish.