Snowies Trip 26-27th

Headed down to the Snowies for Aus day, with the game plan being to catch a fish or two on my new trout specific setup... Atomic Arrowz Skinny Water, 6' 1-3kg, paired with a TD Black 2000.

First fishable stop was Adelong Falls. I'd been here before and made a mental note of its fishing potential. Spent the first few minutes adjusting to the new rod, then walked about 3km of the creek. Unfortunately we arrived mid-day in 35 degree heat, so I didn't even get as much as a follow. Spoke to some locals who confirmed there is good trout in there.

Filled out the rest of the afternoon, then headed out onto Long Plain for sundown. Parked up at one of the Murrumbidgee crossings for tea, and walked approx 5km of the river, resulting in 3 rainbows, and 2 or 3 more dropped. Beautiful country, but very rugged and rough going. Just before we left for our Tumut accommodation, I realised I'd left my Leatherman on the bank after dehooking a fish, about 4km upstream 🤬

I was planning to fish a different waterway the next morning, but we found out that the access road was closed. Decided to head back to the Bidgee and attempt to find the multitool. Fast tracked to the point I had left it, and found it within 30 seconds, none the worse for its night out. Pushed upstream from this point into new water, with the first cast bringing up a beautiful little brown. 2 more rainbows caught, before the day warmed up and I decided to call it.

Lots of kms through scrub and flies for mostly small fish, but there's just something about fishing in this breathtaking scenery. Stupidly I forgot to pack long pants so the legs will be scratched up for a few weeks.

Successful outing, with 6 fish chalked up on the new combo. Super sensitive tip on the rod, and it's short length and low weight makes it ideal for big days on the streams. All fish caught on the Wigstons Spinner shown below.

20230128_075908.jpg

20230128_075955.jpg

20230128_080027.jpg

20230128_080100.jpg

IMG-20230127-WA0015.jpg

• Like 10

Many thanks for sharing your trip summary and the amazing photos. Dead right about the beautiful countryside, lovely streams and very healthy looking fish. We are very fortunate to be able to visit such pristine locations for next to nothing (financially). Most countries it would cost a small fortune to be able to have a day out like that. Glad that your new gear exceeded your expectations too.

bn

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 4:55 AM, big Neil said:

Many thanks for sharing your trip summary and the amazing photos. Dead right about the beautiful countryside, lovely streams and very healthy looking fish. We are very fortunate to be able to visit such pristine locations for next to nothing (financially). Most countries it would cost a small fortune to be able to have a day out like that. Glad that your new gear exceeded your expectations too.

bn

Cheers Neil,

Yes we are lucky, I reckon the only place that tops Aus is backcountry NZ ❤️

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...