Soft Plastics - Environmentally sound?

HawkesburyParadise

Wifey: Did you catch any fish?

Me: No, I'm working on my soft plastics skills.

Wifey: 😮 You're feeding plastic to the Fish?

Me: Wellllll, I don't know actually

This was a conversation at my place tonight. So dear Raiders, hit me with your knowledge of environmental state of plastics.

Safe for fish? Will snagged plastics break down?

Thanks,

HP

Hi HP. Good question, who knows? The least of the problem, I reckon.

Consider the fishing line and the lead sinkers that get broken off. What impact do these have on the numerous species that inhabit our waterways? Not sure about the impact of lead in salt water (more corrosive impact than fresh water), but fishing line causes no end of environmental issues. Consider fish and other species being tangled up in fishing line, unable to function or even drowning.

I used to be concerned about the impact of fish hooks being cut off when a fish had deep swallowed it. Closer study of the situation led me to ease my concerns. In my fishing environment (Murray Cod) I considered the normal feeding habits of the species. They eat hard shelled Yabbies, and freshwater crayfish, as well as other fish (whole). Now all of these food sources get readily digested by fish each time they feed. Perfectly natural situation. I have seen Murray Cod with the intact hook protruding from their anus, still living a perfectly normal fife.

So back to your question. I don't know if soft plastics present a specific problem to fish, but I doubt it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think some of the modern soft plastics are better for this than they used to be , the main thing is if they use pvc or not ( not = better) , these days the plastic itself is tougher and how it is locked onto the jig is better so losing it off the hook less likely .  One  problem is the manufacturers for the most part will say all sorts of wonderful things about their products and the environmentalist will say the polar opposite  so the water gets a little muddy  . We have to tread really carefully here as there are those who would see ALL fishing banned and this is just the cannon fodder they love . I would imagine the amount of plastic introduced into the environment by the use of soft plastics would pale into insignificance compared to what is going in through stormwater run off - cigarette butts are a pet hate of mine as they eventually sink to the bottom and never break down .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Overheard in a fishing shop - "I wonder what fish ate before we invented soft plastics".

Hi HP,

Here is my take. Unless you are using bio-degradable and edible lures such as Berkley Gulp yes we contributing plastic and other rubbish to the environment. It is only a little bit at a time but then rivers, lakes and oceans all form one drop at a time. Experience shows us it takes a long time for most plastics to breakdown. They have even found a Frozen themed balloon at the bottom of the Mariana trench: https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/sustainability/manmade-horrors-lurk-at-the-bottom-of-the-mariana-trench-the-deepest-part-of-the-ocean/news-story/750c3cfafe1cf383278da9777f8e256a

Considering Frozen was released in 2013 it has only taken ten years to get to the deepest part of the ocean.

I'm not going to stop fishing them but I have a way of making the environment a little better. In golf there is a tradition on the green that if you create a divot due to your ball hitting it then you fix it and try and find one other to fix (at least that is what my dad told me when we used to play together). When I go out fishing I always clean up fishing related rubbish I find but I also try and pick up and dispose of one piece of rubbish (e.g. plastic bag or plastic bottle) every time I head out. I may have contributed to the rubbish stream but I've removed even more.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, DerekD said:

Overheard in a fishing shop - "I wonder what fish ate before we invented soft plastics".

Hi HP,

Here is my take. Unless you are using bio-degradable and edible lures such as Berkley Gulp yes we contributing plastic and other rubbish to the environment. It is only a little bit at a time but then rivers, lakes and oceans all form one drop at a time. Experience shows us it takes a long time for most plastics to breakdown. They have even found a Frozen themed balloon at the bottom of the Mariana trench: https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/sustainability/manmade-horrors-lurk-at-the-bottom-of-the-mariana-trench-the-deepest-part-of-the-ocean/news-story/750c3cfafe1cf383278da9777f8e256a

Considering Frozen was released in 2013 it has only taken ten years to get to the deepest part of the ocean.

I'm not going to stop fishing them but I have a way of making the environment a little better. In golf there is a tradition on the green that if you create a divot due to your ball hitting it then you fix it and try and find one other to fix (at least that is what my dad told me when we used to play together). When I go out fishing I always clean up fishing related rubbish I find but I also try and pick up and dispose of one piece of rubbish (e.g. plastic bag or plastic bottle) every time I head out. I may have contributed to the rubbish stream but I've removed even more.

Thanks Derek. Seems like I accidentally bought more Berkeley Gulp than others. 

14 minutes ago, dirvin21 said:

I find I lose very few plastic tails and the chewed up ones I make sure they come home and go in the garbage

I've read fish tend to  vomit up soft plastics they've swallowed not long after

This article - https://castandkayak.com/gulp-bait-bad-for-fish/ says that smaller chunks go through the system of Fish while they spew out bigger chunks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DerekD said:

When I go out fishing I always clean up fishing related rubbish I find but I also try and pick up and dispose of one piece of rubbish (e.g. plastic bag or plastic bottle) every time I head out.

So much this!

When I go fishing (mostly boat based), I bring home as much plastic as I see on the water, and it's usually a LOT.

And that includes the (near full) bottle of Nifti that is still being used on the boat, a dog frisbee, tennis balls, and a pink pool noodle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JustJames said:

When I go fishing (mostly boat based), I bring home as much plastic as I see on the water, and it's usually a LOT.

You are doing better than me. Usually one or two pieces is my goal unless I conveniently go past some other stuff. I am heading out for a fish after all. There is also limited space on my kayak.

You have my respect @JustJames

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1

@Green Hornet You believe you have a problem.

We have a Council given to us by the Government, didn't ask us just dropped them in our lap & gave them $20 Million as well.

Now we are broke. Sacked the Mayor & Council members. Now the Ratepayers have to pay the debt till 2031.

No Election till 2024.

Cheers.

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, JustJames said:

I find it odd, that in a thread we were are talking about minimising environmental impact, the Greens are copping it.

All parties have a range of people. Some people in the Greens would have us all locked up for the activity we're on this site for. That's their way of taking care of the environmental impact. 

Funny thing, I live in Hornsby Shire which has a better chance of turning Green than Labor. I mean neither of them really have a chance against the libs but like the Teals in other parts of Sydney, Greens have a better chance here. 

8 hours ago, JustJames said:

I find it odd, that in a thread we were are talking about minimising environmental impact, the Greens are copping it.

Good observation on your part Just James. The Greens became involved in the thread by virtue of their extreme views on situations. Rebel mentioned that it was something worth commenting on, that they hadn't tried to ban the use of soft plastics altogether... a fair enough comment in my opinion. I agree with you that the context is somewhat ironic.

bn

• Like 2

I use zman (I think Squidies Biotough are similar) because of the material they far outlast other SPs.

I've never lost a tail due to leather jackets or tailor. I reckon I'd catch about 10-15 fish before I needed to change the lure.

Obviously longer lasting lures produce less pollution. Also means less time wasted re rigging SP

I always but my used SPs in the bin.

Edited by nutsaboutfishing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

@HawkesburyParadise Don't bet on it Mate the Mayor of Hornsby is  master at winning elections.

I just wish we had him up here. The mob we have are disaster plus..

Cheers.

Well he's put up my rates $25 per quarter and I'm not happy atm. I could be spending that money at my local tackle store 😛