BONNIES ARE IN

JayC Fisho

Had a few morning sessions in Sydney harbour this week. Fished 4 different spots. Caught Bonnies everytime, found them to be most active and busting up at around 7am everytime. Usually they stay for 20-30 minute and just disappear totally.

Gear used Daiwa Overthere + Stradic c5000xg / daiwa bg4000

lures: Dual monster shot 95 pilchard blue 

heavy shot 120 pilchard blue 

halco spin 20,30g chrome 

Palms dax Blue Pink 

maria duplex 80mm pink 

25lb braid 20 leader

D6C46144-2CFC-45CF-AB48-FC2A0981E864.png

• Like 11

17 hours ago, JayC Fisho said:

Had a few morning sessions in Sydney harbour this week. Fished 4 different spots. Caught Bonnies everytime, found them to be most active and busting up at around 7am everytime. Usually they stay for 20-30 minute and just disappear totally.

Gear used Daiwa Overthere + Stradic c5000xg / daiwa bg4000

lures: Dual monster shot 95 pilchard blue 

heavy shot 120 pilchard blue 

halco spin 20,30g chrome 

Palms dax Blue Pink 

maria duplex 80mm pink 

25lb braid 20 leader

D6C46144-2CFC-45CF-AB48-FC2A0981E864.png

That’s a big catch of fish. What do you do with them all. Eat them or can u use them for bait?Do Bonito have a bag or possession limit?

• Like 1

Always read the Fisheries website for size limits and bag limits, both change now and then, never rely on your mates sisters Aunty to tell you size and species limits and so on, ignorance if checked will not get you off, and neither should it. Green zones, fishing methods and so on are all plainly listed, trying to twist words to suit yourself will see you in hot water with the authorities.

edit.....the same goes for boating laws regarding lights and stuff.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

Wow, that is a lot of fish! How do you cook/prepare your Bonito?

Ps, charge your phone 😉

charging right now 😏. I only take a few of them for myself, others goes to mates for shark baits and burley. I place diced Bonito in a bowl with. mayo sriracha, chives and lemon zest mix em up and spoon them on top of crispy rice and then add a slice of radish best eating. Or I do sashimi, bleed+ gut them and place them on ice after landing, then i pump the remaining blood in the bones and flesh out at home. Wrap it with kitchen paper and plastic wrap, and chuck it in the fridge (not frozen) . After 1-3 days i take it out and fillet it for sashimi, usually with sesame oil , chili oil, wasabi and soy dressing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snapped Hook said:

That’s a big catch of fish. What do you do with them all. Eat them or can u use them for bait?Do Bonito have a bag or possession limit?

They do. 10 per person per day and I do strictly follow the fisheries law don't worry

1 hour ago, Max_fish said:

Are all those pictures from this season/recently? Just asking because I see some watsons Leaping Bonito in your pictures and I don’t think they would be in this early into the season

They are actually inside already, quite early this season.  I guess just not much of them in the harbour yet, were caught in 18 and 20 Jan around rocks nearby Balmoral FYI. 

55 minutes ago, JayC Fisho said:

charging right now 😏. I only take a few of them for myself, others goes to mates for shark baits and burley. I place diced Bonito in a bowl with. mayo sriracha, chives and lemon zest mix em up and spoon them on top of crispy rice and then add a slice of radish best eating. Or I do sashimi, bleed+ gut them and place them on ice after landing, then i pump the remaining blood in the bones and flesh out at home. Wrap it with kitchen paper and plastic wrap, and chuck it in the fridge (not frozen) . After 1-3 days i take it out and fillet it for sashimi, usually with sesame oil , chili oil, wasabi and soy dressing.

Nice! I'm not a huge sashimi fan personally, but it sounds like you know what you're doing 👌

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 5:53 PM, Max_fish said:

Are all those pictures from this season/recently? Just asking because I see some watsons Leaping Bonito in your pictures and I don’t think they would be in this early into the season

Yeah they have been blasting around up Terrigal/Avoca ledges early this year. Most days they are showing up amongst the jelly bean sized bonito!