Sydney Harbour Bonito - Friday 10 March

The Rev

Hi Raiders - A quick report this time.

I went out Friday on sunrise for a quick few hours. Took a mate from church who loves sashimi. WE caught 3 bonito trolling inside North Head. We then spot locked where we got the last one and burleyed up for 45 minutes to try and catch a king at Old Man's Hat but not a touch. WE managed one pan sided snapper.  WE went up the harbour to Elizabeth Bay and caught 2 more bonito on lures before heading back to the ramp at 10am.  Lunch entree sorted for a family gathering the next day and some good fun! The Rev 

image.thumb.jpeg.311f3dc0e52d5d397102b5483aa776d5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.85e0302a253e8f7b7dff1e90e7de8097.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7ae7b6eafb8c595231b2b6b2a9f3b0cb.jpeg

Edited by The Rev
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, Isaac Ct said:

That flesh looks surprisingly white, never filleted a bonito but would've thought the flesh to be darker. Lovely fish anyway. Nice job with the snapper as well.

Thanks Isaac - yes it is lighter colour. It is a soft flesh so needs to be carefully handled and is at its best in the first 2 days, but delicious as sashimi when eaten fresh! Remarkably, many people only use them as bait (which they are great for!). The Rev

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gareth Monks said:

Looks like a productive few hours. Well done! 

I think one of those is a 'Watsons Leaping Bonito'. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

All very fun on light gear. 

Hi Gareth - Yes that one was a Watson's leaping Bonito - They were literally leaping out of the water up in Elizabeth Bay.

On 3/16/2023 at 10:10 AM, The Rev said:

Hi Gareth - Yes that one was a Watson's leaping Bonito - They were literally leaping out of the water up in Elizabeth Bay.

Hi Bruce, a question for you, or anyone with an opinion. Do the Bonito and Watsons Leaping Bonito cross breed? Beautiful looking fish those Watsons Leaping Bonito.

bn

13 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hi Bruce, a question for you, or anyone with an opinion. Do the Bonito and Watsons Leaping Bonito cross breed? Beautiful looking fish those Watsons Leaping Bonito.

bn

Hi Neil - I have no idea - what i do know is why the Watsons are called Leaping bonito. They were literally leaping out of the water on the day as they chased the bait fish. It was amazing to see.  Bruce

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...