Outside Port Hacking

Larkin

“Outside of Port Hacking”

Headed out with a mate - got some yakkas and hit up some bait balls.

picked up a 65cm King - thought it was larger by the way it fought, missed another one, then plan was to load up on some flatties - unfortunately drift was slow and only a couple of small fish. Only one small legal - just by a couple of centimetres,

Went to finish off the livies - one taken by a 50cm Bonnie. Then another around the same size, but came off boat side.

mate got a king, some Bonnie’s, a couple of squid and a groper.

05A8D632-FE16-4C96-9877-5A21349BD250.thumb.jpeg.9691ed2adc192399499d4f63c03f483a.jpeg

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 12

8 hours ago, Yowie said:

A slow day, however, something to take home. 

Was hoping for a few more flathead - just wasn’t the day for it outside. I think you had better luck inside. That wind was howling early, then went dead flat - no wind and no movement.

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

I'd settle for those in the freezer...yum.  bn

King will make some nice sashimi - will take to work and share. Soy, ginger wasabi.  They polished the plate last time i took some.

3 hours ago, Crabstar said:

Hi mate, where do you grab the yakkas from? I struggle to find them in the hacking?

Hi Crabstar,

just anchor about 3-4m off gunnamatta wharf. Anywhere from Mid way down all the way to the end of the pool netting. 

Early morning or late evening

Morning - have to get there early - first light to about 1 hour into daylight will be the most productive. If you get there after say 8am they will disperse and other pickers will take your bait. If this happens anchor a few more meters further away from the wharf and keep burlying.

hand line, size 12 hook / smallest split shot 10cm above hook, and beef mince/flour for bait will outperform any other bait or method of catching them.

• Like 2

Good stuff Larkin, nice job with the squid and king. Apparently there were a big school of them at Gymea Baths today when I was chatting to one of the guys coming up, they were gone by the time I got there, only the small tailor and yakkas bothered me.

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2023 at 7:50 PM, Isaac Ct said:

Good stuff Larkin, nice job with the squid and king. Apparently there were a big school of them at Gymea Baths today when I was chatting to one of the guys coming up, they were gone by the time I got there, only the small tailor and yakkas bothered me.

If there are schools around, I find Plenty of burley - scoop out every 5mins can sometimes get them on the bite or bring them back if you know they’re around.

On 4/1/2023 at 9:34 PM, bessell1955 said:

Lovely looking fish.

King had quite a bit of meat on it - half sashimi and the other half grilled.

On 4/1/2023 at 9:52 PM, jenno64 said:

Nice work as usual Chris!

interesting about the lack of flatties, maybe they are like the duskies, more aggressive when the tide is moving!

A bit of drift is good - I don’t think there were any decent fish down there this time. I felt a lot of small bites. It may have been full of small fish - under 20cm

• Thanks 1