Dollies numbers increasing by the week

Hello Raiders,

We decided to go last Monday as the weather had a good day on the forecast, went to west head and loaded up on yakkas in no time as my friend Jerry Aka ,"Yakka destroyer" put 30 in tank.

Reached north Fad with within 40 mins to find 2 boats already hogging the Yellow markers 

Got a call from home with Mrs advising that it's raining quite hard in Sydney and I looked up the heavens and saw blue sky and said it's going to be ok here!!

Within 20 minutes Sun went missing and it started to bucket down! Bureau got that bloody forecast wrong!

We got drenched for next 2 hours but persevered in hope that once the rain goes we might have chance.

Rain for lighter around 10:30, Fish came on, Rods bent and we got 6 of them in no time, all bigger models.

Then Rain came again , Fish shuttled down and we moved to flatties grounds with Jerry destroying the whiting colony!

Overall a good day.

Friday 31/3.

We decided to go again within a week as this very well maybe the last hurrah for Dollies with long weekend looming and I am busy with work the following week.

Again hit the usual spot for lives with Jerry the yakka destroyer putting 30 in the tank in no time.

Headed to the Fad, outgoes the livies and we both got hooked but.... Lines cut off!!!

Bloody Toadies on the surface menacing with the yakka and cutting off our lines!

I quickly rigged a wire leader and re baited again, so does Jerry.

We kept hooking dollies consistently for next few hours.

When we were just about to leave the Fad, I hooked up on a mako shark and boy it ran and cut off the braid and jumped out of the water with the hook in its mouth... What a sight!

By lunchtime, we decided to go for flatties and hooked decent sized ones .

A great day and end to daylight savings.

Till next time.... IMG-20230331-WA0001.thumb.jpg.4ca9c0aebffd8e36f4333a1a58aad8a6.jpgIMG20230327174219.thumb.jpg.3116db1f3249f23e774c57be76eb1819.jpg

IMG-20230331-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20230331-WA0005.jpg

• Like 13

I've never fished for Dollies, unfortunately. Can you tell me how you rig the Yakkas and does the wire trace detract from catching them normally? I don't fish salt water so if you feel  uncomfortable giving up such information, you could message me. I am curious and enjoy getting info from persons with particular expertise. Great report of a couple of successful sessions and plenty of fresh fish to eat. Cheers, bn

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

I've never fished for Dollies, unfortunately. Can you tell me how you rig the Yakkas and does the wire trace detract from catching them normally? I don't fish salt water so if you feel  uncomfortable giving up such information, you could message me. I am curious and enjoy getting info from persons with particular expertise. Great report of a couple of successful sessions and plenty of fresh fish to eat. Cheers, bn

Hi Mate,

We just hook the yakkas under the chin coming up from the nostrils.

The best way is indeed to use some decaron and needle but when the fish is on, it takes a long time to rig up

I'm not a fan of the wire trace but coz we kept getting bitten off by the Toadies, I had no choice other than to use wire.

It did cost me as after a few fish the wire snapped off while hooked on so not my first preference 

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2023 at 2:58 PM, big Neil said:

Next time you’re up Neil, we’ll target Dollie’s - heaps around at present.

• Like 1