Cuts, bruises and a nice Jewy released

jenno64

Haven't been out much in the last couple of weeks but glad to be on hols for the next fortnight:) Collected some poddies yesterday arvo ready for a trip up the Georges today. Wind was blowing south west ....... not agreeing with the forecast! Started the day with a slip and fall on the boat ramp...thongs and low tide don't mix and ended up chopping up my fingers on oysters which bled for 2-3 hrs!

Out on the water and things were slow and I dropped livies at a few of my spots without any joy. As the tide started rolling in I picked up a nice salmon and a couple of flatties all released. Went back to one of my deeper spots mid tide and had a good take and the rod had some weight but the bait was dropped and came up crushed. Same mangled livie went out the back and off screams the line. I used my electric to motor out of structure and up came a nice jew after a few minutes. 

Got it on board and took a few snaps then thought I still have a few cutlets from my last good fish so off he/she went back to play again some other time.

Called it a day when the southerly hit.

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2375.jpg

• Like 18

Ouch ! I bought a pair of water shoes for the boat ramp as I found my thongs slip out from under my feet and I end up walking on the ramp with bare feet- I may as well just wear bare feet  . You got rewarded with a nice Mulloway! 

Nice jewie Rob, plus the others.

One of the worst things on the rocks, bloody oysters. Just have to bleed out any germs, and small pieces of shell. Makes it difficult to hold the rod, would be worse for handline fishing.

I had a bad cut that took some time to heal, and when it did, I found a tiny piece of shell under the healed skin. It eventually disappeared, after about 20 years.

• Like 2

Nice jewie Rob! 👍 & nice release!
A few around the river at the moment.

I carry a roll of strapping tape - stops the bleeding - fish spikes, fish hooks, oysters ect. plenty things that can cut you up out there on the water.

15 hours ago, XD351 said:

Ouch ! I bought a pair of water shoes for the boat ramp as I found my thongs slip out from under my feet and I end up walking on the ramp with bare feet- I may as well just wear bare feet  . You got rewarded with a nice Mulloway! 

Yep, rookie error….I’m usually careful and take my things off but today brought me undone! Didn’t feel any pain bringing the Jew in!

15 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice jewie Rob, plus the others.

One of the worst things on the rocks, bloody oysters. Just have to bleed out any germs, and small pieces of shell. Makes it difficult to hold the rod, would be worse for handline fishing.

I had a bad cut that took some time to heal, and when it did, I found a tiny piece of shell under the healed skin. It eventually disappeared, after about 20 years.

Yep, the bleeding probably helped in the long run, I only had my balaclava to keep pressure on and I kept rinsing my hand so it’s all good now. 

14 hours ago, Mike Sydney said:

What a stonking Jewie well done ! Sucks on the oyster cut I bet it’s still stinging now.

Thanks! Cuts are ok but my shoulder and arm are beaten up today!

10 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice jewie Rob! 👍 & nice release!
A few around the river at the moment.

I carry a roll of strapping tape - stops the bleeding - fish spikes, fish hooks, oysters ect. plenty things that can cut you up out there on the water.

Thanks Larkin! I keep a fix it kit in the boat but my wife is making me a first aid kit now too!🤪

23 hours ago, kantong said:

Persistence pays off, great catch mate! Hope your finger heals up soon.

What do you do with left over poddies? Are they worth preparing as dead baits?

Most of the time I release them but occasionally I’ll freeze dead ones for a cut bait. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the fall mate cutting your hands like that really hurts. I was fishing with a friend for blackfish on a wharf at Nelsons Bay and he went for a tumble onto oyster covered rocks - not pleasant but after a sit down for 5 mins he carried on fishing. Respect. Looks like you're made of the same metal mate - congrats on that Jewie, well deserved.

Do you catch your mullet in a bait trap with a bit of bread in there? I have a clear plastic cylinder variety which I haven't used yet but plan to.

Cheers

Jason

That’s a great Jewie Rob, a few cuts and scratches make it all worthwhile (real men cut and bleed). Seriously though it’s no fun getting knocked around - can take the gloss off the day, but you’ll remember that Jewie for a long time. Well done.

15 hours ago, Pickles said:

That’s a great Jewie Rob, a few cuts and scratches make it all worthwhile (real men cut and bleed). Seriously though it’s no fun getting knocked around - can take the gloss off the day, but you’ll remember that Jewie for a long time. Well done.

Thanks Bob, The cuts and bruises will heal but the memory of a good fish lasts:)