A few drummer Northern Beaches

The weather looked good for a drummer fish yesterday arvo - no rain, light wind and the swell had dropped (maybe a little too much). I hadn't fished for drummer in Sydney this year and had seen a few reports of them being caught so thought I'd have a go.  As the swell was quite low I tried a couple of washes that are usually too rough or unsafe. I was getting lots of pickers on prawn so tried some white bread and that produced the first drummer of around 36cm. I kept fishing that spot for another 45 minutes but could only produce kelpies and wirrah with one possible drummer lost but I suspect it was another wirrah. Moved 20 meters along to another wash but kept snagging the bottom. It wasn't suitable for using a float given the small area and the way the wash was moving  so I tried using a semi circle hook. I've had them in the tackle box for years but always been wary of missing hookups on fish so hadn't tried them till now. Turned out I didn't miss any hookups and stopped snagging the bottom even though I had to pull out of some rough stuff a few times.

image.jpeg.8706313beeabb202e956f3ba37a5df11.jpeg

Scored another couple of drummer at this spot using cunje but they were well spaced out with long waits in between.

So was pleased with the result for the afternoon as drummer are a favourite with my wife (and me). I didn't measure them but all fish were in the 35-40cm range.

image.jpeg.5e403cc4be5aba302d249756e8a1818c.jpeg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, kantong said:

great bag of fish!

I'm curious, did you just put the bread on the hook and cast it out unweighted with no float?

Kantong

you must use fresh white bread, remove the crust and tear the centre into  strips about 40mm wide , wrap one strip around the hook and put it into your fist and squeeze tight, really tight! I was using a small pea sinker but this bait once squeezed is quite heavy and can easily be cast far enough to reach the fish - they are always in close amongst the white water. It's surprising how long it lasts in the rough water. It's appealing to drummer but the pickers often leave it alone - bonus!

Soak the crusts in water crush up and use that for burley

Fil

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Very nice bag, they look like very healthy barrels!

thanks Jenno, yes although not big fish they were well conditioned and fought hard for their size. Looking forward to tonight's dinner!

Drummer only have small mouths, I use plain old Mustad, size number 1 I think they are 540 French hook?, no sinker and squashed white bread as mentioned, works a treat.

• Like 1

Love a good Pigsy, pull hard and taste good! Well done, they are lots of fun around the stones as they dive for cover once hooked. Don't tell anyone but the bread trick works a treat on luderick as well 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Central Coast Fisherman said:

Do you know what brand, type and size the hooks were? 

I bought them too long ago to remember the details but they are at least 2X strong and I'd say number 1 or 1/O size possibly Mustad brand circle hooks. I normally use 1/O suicide in 2X strength, although the French pattern that Noel M mentioned is also popular with pig fishermen. You need the thicker hook for those times you get a bigger model as they can straighten or break a standard hook. You have to lock up your drag most times as they dive straight for the underside of ledges and will bury you if you give them an inch . So its a short conversation once you hook a drummer - fish the size I caught yesterday come in quick but I've caught a few over 50cm and then it gets interesting - you have to know your hooks are strong and your knots are good , even then it can end in tears, such is drummer fishing. 

Drummer are readily available even in quite populated areas, most people either cast way out, over them, or simple don't use Bread or Cungi for bait and little to no sinker (peeled Royal Red Prawns work too). Anywhere that has a bit of "wash" and some deepish water under it will hold Drummer, especially if there is exposed reef close in. Don't cast out over the horizon, they will be right in close.  I get some really nice ones from the boat, fishing very close to rocks you can't normally get to, but, beware, it's not for the novice boater, you need to be in really close. The Little Rock/Island thing at the front of Bass Point is a top spot for them from a boat, as are most of the Five Islands.

• Like 1