Luderick near Circular Quay

44jeff

Hi everyone, this is my first post on fishraider. 

After reading some of the posts on this site, I decided to target luderick today and turned my light spin rod into a setup using some of the tips provided here.

Arrived at the spot at around 9, gathered some weed and threw in some burley. Managed to hook 4 fish but lost them while pulling them up. I've decided to make a net but does anyone have any other tips to land them?

Thanks everyone 

• Like 1

Years ago I had a long extension net iirc it was over 12ft long when fully extended and was great for fishing off wharves . The only problem was when collapsed it was around 8ft long and didn’t fit in my car - ok for the back of a  Ute or wagon but not a sedan or crew Cab ute . I don’t  think you can buy them that big anymore and I remember it was expensive at the time .

You could use something like this to cobble together a long net but cutting the end off a cheap net and fixing it to the end of the pole .

IMG_0087.thumb.png.3491e07a99b203a0f9ebb2edb1095c52.png

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the late reply. I'm using 5lb leader. I've decided to make a net out of some old netting, an old tennis racquet and a mop handle. Will take it out on Sunday for some luderick. Hopefully I'll be able to land them all. Will post an update.

Photo:

20230601_174851-min.jpg

Edited by 44jeff
Forgot something
  • Like 10

Firstly, welcome to the forum 44jeff. I like your creative solution for creating a net to land the Blackfish. It should be fine provided you can reach the water from your lofty position.

If you find yourself struggling or losing fish, try this. Get a collapsible freshwater yabby pot and extend the length of the rope on it. You can lower this to the water beneath your feet and guide the fish into it. I have seen them used successfully for squid on very high jetties.

Look forward to reading your posts about successful Luderick adventures.

Cheers, bn

• Like 5

Hi all. The net worked well. My brother and I fished the runout with weed gathered yesterday. Managed 6 fish from 29-37cm but pulled the hooks on about 5 and missed even more downs. Still a great day and took a couple home for a feed. Thanks everyone for the help.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, 44jeff said:

Hi all. The net worked well. My brother and I fished the runout with weed gathered yesterday. Managed 6 fish from 29-37cm but pulled the hooks on about 5 and missed even more downs. Still a great day and took a couple home for a feed. Thanks everyone for the help.

Well done on getting some Blackfish, great result. bn

• Like 1

Great work mate ! You used some initiative to solve the net problem and it payed off 👍👍👍

Did you get your weed off the rocks or in the estuary? ( Don’t give away the exact location or you will have every man and his dog down there tomorrow ) if you got it of the rocks I won’t bother looking in the estuary but if you did get it in the estuary I will have a look around for my own supply.

Edited by XD351
  • Like 1

Thanks. This week I got the weed off the rocks but last week I got it from a spot close to circular quay. There wasn't much left in the estuary location and I just got enough for one session. At times a lot of green weed grows there (it grows in rock pools at the spot), however it's mainly hit or miss.

Edited by 44jeff
  • Like 1

Thanks mate , saves me a lot of time searching for something that isn’t there ! After all the floods and the like over the last few years I haven’t seen any real weed growth anywhere in the harbour or parra river . 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 5:19 PM, XD351 said:

Great work mate ! You used some initiative to solve the net problem and it payed off 👍👍👍

Did you get your weed off the rocks or in the estuary? ( Don’t give away the exact location or you will have every man and his dog down there tomorrow ) if you got it of the rocks I won’t bother looking in the estuary but if you did get it in the estuary I will have a look around for my own supply.

If you have real difficulty finding enough weed you can always use a weed fly in place of the natural weed and hook. Works fine.

bn

• Like 1