J Braid breaking with using mono leader

Subtropic

Hi Raiders/deck hands

Recently I have been having trouble tying double uni knots to a reel that has 6lb line. When I use mono, the braid always breaks at the knot. It’s J Braid and probably 12months old. Has anyone come across this problem?

• Like 1

Hi @Subtropic

I used the uni to uni knot for years and in the past I've found braid can cut into the mono at the knot when test loading it up. If it is happening at the knot then I think it probably isn't a braid issue as such but just a peculiarity of the knot.

Try doubling up the braid and then tying the same knot (known as the double-double uni knot) and see if you have the same issue. The doubling up of the braid makes the line a bit thicker and the knot stronger. You will still have to trim the excess.

Also try learning the FG knot and see if you have the same issue. If it goes away then I think it is the knot rather than the line.

Alternatively, @dirvin21 could have hit the nail on the head.

PS. How are you testing the knot? I've seen some people snap their hands apart to test a knot. This shock loading doesn't happen in the real world as the shock of a strike is partially taken up by stretch in the leader and mostly the rod tip bending. It is fast but it is not a shock load. You should be gradually loading the knot up.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

@Green Hornet uses a braid he buys from Japan.

You can ask him if it works.

I’ll always remember a guy on another forum refer to J braid as “rope” and I’m my opinion he wasn’t wrong LOL.

I buy a lot of my tackle from Japan, including braid for about half the price you pay here and the range is mind boggling. These days I’m using Varivas, Avani Casting braid and cannot fault it. It’s casts and manages exceptionally well and not one wind knot to date

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Im another who has had issues with J braid not holding up for long. I bought 4 spools in various strengths and all were replaced within 6 months. FG or PR knots are best but I still use uni to uni when in a hurry or light lines I now find difficult to tie decent knots with.

• Thanks 1

I was at a local big chain store a few days ago to pick up a new outfit , I got some braid while there and they offered to spool the reel up for me - ripper ! Less work for me so off to the respooling counter I went . I was chatting to the guy doing my reel and asked if they sell much of the brand of braid I bought - not really , probably sell more shimano braid than anything else he said    . I think braid is a bit like mono in one respect - some of it is crap , some reasonable and some great - the problem is unless you are prepared to try a few different brands yourself you will never know what suits you best . Life was much easier a few years back as we only had a choice of a few brands, now it seems every tackle manufacturer in the world has their own brand . Ask 5 different fishos what they like and you will get 5 different answers !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

I was at a local big chain store a few days ago to pick up a new outfit , I got some braid while there and they offered to spool the reel up for me - ripper ! Less work for me so off to the respooling counter I went . I was chatting to the guy doing my reel and asked if they sell much of the brand of braid I bought - not really , probably sell more shimano braid than anything else he said    . I think braid is a bit like mono in one respect - some of it is crap , some reasonable and some great - the problem is unless you are prepared to try a few different brands yourself you will never know what suits you best . Life was much easier a few years back as we only had a choice of a few brands, now it seems every tackle manufacturer in the world has their own brand . Ask 5 different fishos what they like and you will get 5 different answers !

It's a bit like the post we had a short time back when buying tackle. All the hype, outrageous claims, etc. Unless you have loads of money and time to test things properly it's probably wise to pay attention to anglers who you respect and who do similar types of fishing to yourself, They have spent time finding out what works and what doesn't. The one common denominator though is to make sure that you are tying knots correctly, particularly when joining braid and leader material.

bn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, slowjigger said:

Tie a bimini twist on the braid first to make a doubled line - use double the normal turns ie 40 or more. Then uses the double uni. This should be close to 100%. 

Do you do a bimini with 6lb line, only ever used them on heavy tackle.

5 hours ago, XD351 said:

Ive been using Shimano grappler braid lately which Ive been very impressed with, its about the same price as Daiwa J braid. I can't tell the difference between the grappler and twice the price Shimano Ocea braid. I have three reels with ocea and three with grappler.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JonD said:

Do you do a bimini with 6lb line, only ever used them on heavy tackle.

I fish down to 4lb braid - use the bimini on all breaking stains. I don't trust a single line for braid to mono joins. Just make sure you used double the normal 20 turns for mono. 

• Like 2

Interesting topic, I had a similar problem months ago which in hindsight was also J-braid. I switched to Berkeley X8 and it hasn’t happened since though I never put two and two together that it may have been the braid - I just figured my knots got better! Still use the J-thread leader though that stuff is awesome 

• Like 3

I was at said store again today and had a bit of a gander at the braided line offerings , amazed how much the diameter differs for the same breaking strain between brands ! I did get a good laugh out of it all though - the cheapest stuff there listed it’s diameter for a breaking strain of 8lb as a mere  0.06mm or a nudge over 0.002 inch ! Funny thing was it was the same for the 15lb as well 🤣🤣 . One thing I have noticed with some of the stuff I am using is tip wrapping anytime the line is left slack , most of the fishing I do is drifting for flathead so I don’t need any super duper type of braid on those outfits - I just want durability and reliability. 
I did have some Berkeley sensei FC but after last weekend where it had me pulling my imaginary hair out because it had gone all curly with memory and now resides in the bin , I picked up some FC Rock to try and I am using J thread fc on my lure casting outfits - seems nice . I also have some Nitto fc I have had for years  - anyone ever used it ? So far I have no complaints .

Edited by XD351

8 hours ago, Mike Sydney said:

Interesting topic, I had a similar problem months ago which in hindsight was also J-braid. I switched to Berkeley X8 and it hasn’t happened since though I never put two and two together that it may have been the braid - I just figured my knots got better! Still use the J-thread leader though that stuff is awesome 

Me too! Pretty much bang on 6 months, the line was unusable. Before that, it was great though.

I went to Berkley X9 because it was cheap. Time will tell. I note @DerekD uses X5. Derek, is that because of value for money or because you find it lasts longer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

Me too! Pretty much bang on 6 months, the line was unusable. Before that, it was great though.

I went to Berkley X9 because it was cheap. Time will tell. I note @DerekD uses X5. Derek, is that because of value for money or because you find it lasts longer?

Cause I can get it in white/crystal which is my preferred braid colour for my light outfits. Also used to use Fireline crystal till woven braids such as Shimano Powerpro came along.

I prefer the X5 over the X9 as the threads don't separate as easily. I've been fishing it hard for several years on several outfits and haven't had any major issues.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...