NZ Fishing

Headed over the the south island of NZ for a road trip late April and managed a day out bottom bashing and pulling up cray pots. Location was Kaikoura on the north east coast and my wife joined me on the charter that started with us loading cray bait pots and finished with some bottom bashing. Weather was delightful, no wind or swell and a temperature in the low 20s. We picked the wrong time for crays as the males were busy shedding ready to mate with the females. The first pot came up with about 20 crays and only 4 were legal size or males, the females all in berry. Saw seals, whales, dolphins and a couple of local albatross floated next to the boat as we drifted off shore. Non stop action fishing in a bout 150m with pretty heavy gear so no sport involved just sore shoulders. First drop up came a barracuda then it was non-stop action for 2 hours with plenty of perch and blue cod, as well as a few dog sharks and other bi-catch that ended up bait! The crew did an amazing job of cleaning as we caught fish and at the end of the session we walked off with a couple of kilos of nice clean white fillets and a couple of crays. Lucky that night we stayed in a villa with a full kitchen so we feasted on fresh seafood and Marlborough Sav Blanc. Next rip I'll have a crack at the trout or maybe hit the north island for kings and snapper!

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2074.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

• Like 13

Sounds like a fun time, except for retrieving in 150 metres. Crays and fresh fish, nothing wrong with that.

Lack of swell and boat rocking makes it a little easier to retrieve from the deep.

An excellent report of a rather unique fishing trip for you and your wife. Never heard of a charter that offers Crayfishing with deep water angling before. A wonderful opportunity to create a top feast for the table Jenno. Quality local wine to accompany the feast....YUM.

bn

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 10:52 PM, Yowie said:

Sounds like a fun time, except for retrieving in 150 metres. Crays and fresh fish, nothing wrong with that.

Lack of swell and boat rocking makes it a little easier to retrieve from the deep.

Thanks Dave, not much sport on that gear, I would have preferred one of my spin outfits!

On 6/6/2023 at 5:11 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

Sweet  im hopin to do road trip next year  north island

Sounds like a plan Rick, I'm keen to go back for snapper and kings on the north island.