Lifting a trailer boat for hull repairs

Allgearnoidea

Hi everyone,

Apologies up front if this has been answered or in the wrong spot. I did a search but couldnt see anything.

I have a 1973 fibreglass runabout trailer boat. Its 5m and around 500kg.

I've been patching up some gouges underneath the boat with epoxy and fibreglass. I've started to put down some fibreglass strips along the hull for extra protection.

I'm struggling to get it right around where it meets the rollers, and was hoping to lift the boat slightly (say 5cm) so I can run some long fibreglass strips without joins.

Looking online, there are videos about removing boats from trailers on land (e.g. using tyres, wooden frames etc), but I dont really have the equipment or skills to do something like that for what is ultimately a preventative improvement.

I've been thinking about hiring acrow props and using a timber beam to hold it up, but I dont want to punch a hole in the hull or anything using a jack in the wrong way.

Has anyone got any tips or tricks for a job like this? I'd only need to do it for a day or two, and it would only need to come up slightly so I can get the fibreglass strip down and then do the fairing/primer/topcoat.

Thanks

Edited by Allgearnoidea

what if you just moved the boat back off the trailer enough so that it is still on the trailer but you have access to where the rollers were otherwise sitting? then just an easy winch back on. 

• Like 2

Hi Where do you live ? Anywhere near berala ?.

I have a cradle that fits under the rear of the hull which you roll boat slightly rearward from trailer then place this device under hull/transom then you can use a engine hoist to lift the front of the boat off the trailer rollers.

Little bit of work involved to get things just right but it's a very successful way to raise the boat off the trailer to perform the job you need to do.

If you like I could lend you the cradle and a engine hoist and a few lifting straps to do the job with.

I personally can't help much with lifting and such but could supervise you and possibly a mate to do the job.

Frank

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I did a similar thing to what Frank said when I had to replace some trailer rollers. But I used wooden chocks instead of a sling on the stern and the motion of the trailer to lift and lower. Have a look at this post in the Workshop for ideas. 

https://community.deckee.com/topic/89650-trailer-maintenance-with-25t-boat-still-on-part-1/

Cheese Zoran

• Like 1

Gday everyone, firstly - how good is the Fishraider community! Cant believe how helpful everyone has been. Really glad I came on here for advice before I ended up being crushed by my boat.

Frank - that is a bloody generous offer! I'm actually not too far from Berala, but I reckon i'll give this a crack myself because I will no doubt be needing to do this again some time in future.

Zoran - helpful as always! I'm going to give what you did a go. Managed to pick up a pallet off the side of the road last night so have some spare timber to use.

Seasponge - Yeah thats what i've tried so far and was hoping to get away with. Because I want to run a long piece of woven strand to increase the strength, I couldnt get away with it because its not been possible to get a flat join next to the rollers

Campr/dmck - thanks for your commentary too, good to know others have done it

I'll give it a go and post some updates of what I hope will be a successful lift and repair. While its lifted I might as well give the trailer a cold gal treatment too.

Thanks again everyone

• Thanks 2

I made up a metal cradle for the back of the boat, slid the boat back on the trailer so the transom was clear, dropped the front of the trailer to raise the rear of the boat- placed the cradle in position then raised the front of the trailer so the boat sat in the cradle.

Then.... lifted the front of the boat with an over head winch ( I did this in my shed) and removed the trailer -- then lowered the boat on to chocks down the keel and chocked the sides to stop the hull slewing--- as the cradle proved very stable and secure this last bit wasnt really necessary.

All this was to be able to refurbish the trailer -- and thats another story...........  Lets just say that 6 litres of spilled  fish oil means my carport concrete floor will never rust....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just took my cat off the trailer on the weekend, it was a breeze (done it lots of times before) just hooked up the car, tied the boat to a post, drove off a bit, built two “piers” about the right height, (out of blocks) put a bit of timber across them, drive further out, put some timber under each hull at the bow and drive off. Putting back on is a real cinch, leave boat tied off! unhook trailer, line up with boat, unwind winch cable and start winding, the trailer simply moves under the boat, until it gets to the “tipping point” then it’s all down hill!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, dmck said:

I made up a metal cradle for the back of the boat, slid the boat back on the trailer so the transom was clear, dropped the front of the trailer to raise the rear of the boat- placed the cradle in position then raised the front of the trailer so the boat sat in the cradle.

Then.... lifted the front of the boat with an over head winch ( I did this in my shed) and removed the trailer -- then lowered the boat on to chocks down the keel and chocked the sides to stop the hull slewing--- as the cradle proved very stable and secure this last bit wasnt really necessary.

All this was to be able to refurbish the trailer -- and thats another story...........  Lets just say that 6 litres of spilled  fish oil means my carport concrete floor will never rust....

Funny, I painted my trailer with fish oil, but….I had decent clothes on (because I won’t get any on myself) after about 15 minutes I had it all over my shirt, face, pants, driveway, shoes, you name it!, then dropped the brush in the grass.

• Haha 2

This is my cradle, can be adapted to ant shape hull bu adding wood.

lancer.thumb.JPG.d01fbca4204d5a76fc20357cc8d239e3.JPG

I have a full sized gantry that I used when I was fitter and working on boats and trailers regularly but it is too large to lend.

20171101_095428.thumb.jpg.616fd3ebbefb7c16062f6b4cdf1e69c8.jpg

Frank

• Like 4

1 hour ago, frankS said:

This is my cradle, can be adapted to ant shape hull bu adding wood.

lancer.thumb.JPG.d01fbca4204d5a76fc20357cc8d239e3.JPG

I have a full sized gantry that I used when I was fitter and working on boats and trailers regularly but it is too large to lend.

20171101_095428.thumb.jpg.616fd3ebbefb7c16062f6b4cdf1e69c8.jpg

Frank

That's a nice solid looking cradle Frank ... @Allgearnoidea given you don't live far if I was you I'd be seriously considering borrowing it and just using the wood off that pallet to pack the cradle to the correct shape.

Now regarding having a gantry lying around at home ... that's just out of this world !!! .... especially for us mere mortals ... but not our FRANK !

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmck said:

Lets just say that 6 litres of spilled  fish oil means my carport concrete floor will never rust....

😱 🤣 ... now we know where all the neighbour hood cats like to hang out !

• Haha 2

Your going about it the hard way - (this method works and needs 2 people) 

1) hook the trailer to the car to stop it from lifting

2) keep the front winding strap on and take all the others off

3) push the boat off 3/4 of the way with a trolley jack under the centre

4) when its off far enough prop the sides with wooden logs

• Like 1

For what it's worth , here is how I go about it.

1. Place boat on level ground, preferably concrete.

2. Undo all straps including winch cable Push boat back off trailer so I have approx 8" ( 20 cm ) of clearance .

3. Lower front of trailer so cupling sits on ground, this raises the transom up slightly.

4. Place cradle under transom and block up with boards so the transom fits snugly on cradle.

5 Raise front of trailer up with jockey wheel as far as it will go, this will slightly lift the transom off the trailer.

6. use whatever device is available to lift front of boat clear of trailer ( in my case I have the gantry OR I do it under a car port and use the roof of carport as gantry )

7. I use a block and tackle OR come along type lifting device to lift boat. Either use bow rail OR front winching hook ( what you use to winch boat onto trailer ) to secure come along.

8. Lower jockey wheel so trailer is level and roll trailer out from under boat.

9. You could use blocks of timber or whatever to stableize boat if you feel safer doing this.

Over the past 40 odd years I have built many boat trailers and have modified and repaired dozens of boat trailers and have used similar process to this. I have also just lowered boat onto ground OR tyres but  in the case above you want the boat swinging so having boat on ground won't work.

Hope this helps someone who may want to do the job in the future.

May not be the best way to do it but it's how I do it.

Frank

• Like 2

Gday all, managed to get it done. I took a bit of advice from all the different posts.

Connected the trailer to the tow bar. Jacked it up against some timber and a carpet tile against the hull around the middle. Once it was up, I put some timber and carpet tile further back towards the stern, and had a bit of structural timber at the front of the boat against the bow to hold it up. Then pulled the jack out (very, very carefully!)

It wasn’t pretty, but got the job done. I was able to get the fibreglassing, ship shape, and some top coat on before I had to lower it again - because I had to go to that place that funds my amateur boating and fishing…work.

The boat now looks like a beige rainbow, and I’ve got a lot of fairing and painting left to do, but it’s repaired and almost done.

Thanks again everyone for all the great advice 

70950443384__96D271A6-2AFA-46E9-9F6B-7B620CA22779.jpeg

Edited by Allgearnoidea
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Finally finished the sanding and fairing.

Because the boat was built in 1972 I went to BCS auto paints in Milperra who colour matched it by eye! 
Sprayed it on and will clear coat soon. Could use a third coat but I didn’t buy enough so I’ll make like Elsa and “let it go”

Then polish and wax

IMG_9046.jpeg

• Like 3