Potential lockout at Mona Vale

https://fishingworld.com.au/news/popular-sydney-fishing-spot-under-threat/

I received this text this morning 

ATTENTION TO ALL FISHOS 
PLEASE ATTEND IF YOU CAN

There is an important meeting being held tonight at the Northern Beaches Council. 

I and many other Fishos will be there in support to stopping the Mona Vale Bongin Bongin bay swimming group that are putting forward a proposal to turn the Mona Vale basin and Mona Vale headland (3.8km area) into a Aquatic Reserve. 

This means A No Take Zone what so ever. 

This will be tabled at the Northern Beaches Council. Meeting commences at 6pm Tuesday 27th June. 
Please be there in support and fill the council chambers to voice your opinion. 

The address is: 
Northern Beaches Council
725 Pittwater Road , Dee Why 2099
The council chambers entrance is off Civic Parade and entry is between the library and the PCYC On the 27th of June ( at 6pm )

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

The fear is if the DPI do accept this garbage ( who knows who the councillors know in government) and use it as a template , it will be one beach after another that gets locked up . I have heard that most of this is coming from people that have moved into the area and joined this swimming group , apparently some are on the council as well . What gives these people the right to exclude anyone else from using the beach ? iirc the sffp have been in contact with the relevant ministers to discuss this , hopefully they listen and lean on the DPI to get it knocked back and the issue closed for good .

• Like 6

Has anyone put forward a valid reason why this should not go ahead? Now before you throw rocks at me, I agree with you but……just signing a petition and whinging, turning up to some meeting is futile without a delegated speaker/representative that can put forward documented facts to “fight” the proposal, without that, it’s just “noise” and will stop nothing.

edit….just to add, anything in fishing magazines are very one sided, worded to increase circulation.

Edited by noelm
Typo
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Rebel said:

The Northern Beaches Council will be over ruled by the DPI.

From what I uderstand this has been going on for a while..

Cheers.

I'm pretty sure Rebel is right local council has no jurisdiction to do it

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We shouldn’t have to produce anything to stop this as they haven’t done any scientific reasearch - it is just a bunch of tools on the council trying to lock everyone out of their own little private beach . I hope the locals turn up in force to this meeting because they won’t be able to fish off their own beaches , this is the tip of the iceberg and if it gets through they will try to ban everyone including surfers  . Imagine going down for a swim and because you’re not a local or your car looks like it is owned by a fisho it gets keyed or tyre spiked .

In the video Ryder linked to they mention that the local member is in on it as well so there is the link to DPI.

Edited by XD351
  • Like 5

I signed the petition, thin edge of the wedge as usual. As a hunter I am used to it.

However as others have said it is up to the DPI & I very much doubt that they would run with it.

I hate people that try to mess with others enjoying a legal pursuit and not bothering anyone.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rockspinking said:

This sort of thing is happening right up the coast. Terrigal and Avoca will be next in line the swimming groups are pushing it along with other local groups which I won’t name as I don’t think it’s appropriate here.

That is exactly what these groups are counting on so they can whittle away our rights without the public knowing who is doing it. 

• Like 2

Ok that was interesting ! 
so the majority of the councillors are against the no take zone , some support an aquatic reserve where fishing is still permitted ( same as Narrabeen headland ) and a couple don’t want a bar of any of it . I think the councillors that were trying to exclude everyone except their little swimming group from the basin were put in their place and the council as a whole agreed that they have no jurisdiction on the matter and can only forward the various petitions to the DPI for consideration . There would have to be a good reason for the DPI to do a scientific study on the area - like proof of an endangered species either living or breeding there for them to open the coffers up and pay a lot of money for the study that can take years to complete .

It was great to see a few councillors actually support rec fishing in the area , I hope they see that rec fishing is a bit more popular than they first realised and that it brings money into the area and supports local businesses.

It is a shame that the illegal actions of a few that damaged cars , abused fishos and tried to start a fight wasn’t bought up , if these actions continue the council will have to instal CCTV and ask the police to do regular patrols to protect all of the users of the basin .

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Just had a look at Alex Bellissimo’s FB page as he attended the meeting and said the majority of the people there were rec anglers and spear fishos ( so we do have an ally) . He posted a couple of photos and it isn’t hard to find the numpties that are trying to shut the basin down - the half dozen bottom right of the photo ( not posting the photo on here as not sure of forum rules regarding this ) you can find his FB page if you want to see for yourself .

• Like 5

Write to your local STATE member and tell them your thoughts -let them know how beaches are for EVERYONE not just entitled locals. I live in the North West of Sydney and wrote to my local guy last night-as ive said all too many times the ALP has forgotten its roots and the LNP think we are the great unwashed -these wallies that sit in parliament need reminders here and there.

• Like 6

i bet they are gonna push for more metered parking zone to get rid of us lot next. Those rich grubs have been trying to get rid of us for ages. From $10 parking per hour to more insidious methods. We are not all rich to have water front properties 

Edited by faker
  • Like 1

The thing I had a good chuckle about was when one of the councillors tried to make it look like the petition they had was a “real petition “ not some online thing and it had thousands of signatures which shows real community support but only a handful of them turned up to the meeting :074: I would say that those that did are the handful of twits that are proposing the lockout and trying to turn the basin into their own little private retirement village . I believe those that live in the area can get an exemption for parking fees because they pay rates , there are only a couple of spots along the peninsula that I know of where you can still park for free and still be within a few hundred meters of a beach , same goes for Bayview ramp - you either pay a fortune or don’t use the ramp as I think they removed any on street parking within cooee of that place .

• Haha 2