Palm Beach Goes Off!

gianniz

Well i headed off to Walebeach for the 2pm HIGHTIDE.

got there around 1pm with waves crashing too heavily... so decided to coward out from there and headed back to the good old palm beach.

Starting fishing for an hour but nothing... was just about to go home (3pm) and was retreiving my lines when all of a sudden big BANG.

2 minutes later I saw a massive salmon.. I measured it today it was from the tip of my finger to my arm pit. (68cm) 3.2kg (GUTTED) so probably around 3.5kg.

so then i rememberd what an old man once told me...

"check the segulls"

"check the wave action"

I looked around and towards the left of me 20-30 seagulls where going crazy... so i got my trusty lure out and changed the outfit and from than on i pulled in 2 other salmon slightly smaller 55-60cm and 8 tailors. finished fishing around 5pm cause my arm was hurting!!!

I think i might be to sick to work tomorrow :)

yup no need for a stingray :)

infact one of the reason i came home around 5pm (when actually fishing was just starting!! as i could see about 50-100 seagulls were working on the area I left!) due to my left arm having no juice left!!

10- good sized fish is one hell of a workout!

salmons have problems where their flesh seems to break. the best way to stop this from happening try this.

as soon as you catch it, bleed it then put it in an icebox filled with ice. that should keep the fish really firm and tasty...

fishy taste... well not really sure if i had this problem.

PS. I think there are many different salmons in australia. Ones I have caught down south in Merimbula have different flesh and slightly different looking fish (and tasted better).

Ones i caught today from sydney are darker with flesh not as good. (though i didn't get any ice cause I didn't think i'd catch any fish!) :)

PPS. i don't really eat this fish. I don't like the scales on the fish, it freaks me out :( I catch it for fun and keep few for my dad who likes to sashimi and deepfry them.

How do you make them (salmon) taste good?

I have tied everything including thai fish cakes... still find them too "fishie"

Nice to be in the action on the beach - sounds like you had a day to remember.

I have baked them in the oven (after cutting the head off otherwise wouldn't fit) with foil stuffed with dill, lemon , garlic , flat leaf parsly , salt pepper, butter , olive oil & white wine.

Tasted pretty blood good to me.

Sounds like a good day there gianniz. :thumbup: You know you've had a top session when your arms start hurting.

And good to hear that no stingrays were harmed during the making of your report. :biggrin2:

Well done mate.

Shane

:1fishing1:

Great report Gianniz - and especially good to hear that you've broken your run of fishing bad luck!

I wonder how many of us have had our fishing improved from the advice of 'an old man'? I reckon that, of all the fishing tips I've been given, the best and most valuable have always come from a friendly chat with the old locals.

Funny, isn't it. With all the technology and development put into the fishing industry over the past 20 years the thing that most often helps to improve a catch is the advice of an old codger who hasn't changed his fishing techniques for decades.

Mondo

Guest lbgking

Mate sounds like a top session.

I have always thrown Salmon back as they have that strong blood line running through the fillet. However when I grew up in Sth Oz they were fine to eat after bleeding.

Are there two different sub species? or do local conditions affect the flesh?

Mars, that is exactly what I do except for getting rid of the dark meat.

I think the dark meat tastes fine to eat...

You can get a couple of thick chunky fillets from the average salmon.

Only eat it fresh though. A day in the fridge for it to firm up works wonders.

Freeze it and I think it goes a bit mushy. However a friend of mine says that it comes it fine after being frozen!?!

so then i rememberd what an old man once told me...

"check the segulls"

"check the wave action"

I looked around and towards the left of me 20-30 seagulls where going crazy... so i got my trusty lure out and changed the outfit and from than on i pulled in 2 other salmon slightly smaller 55-60cm and 8 tailors. finished fishing around 5pm cause my arm was hurting!!!

I think i might be to sick to work tomorrow :)

Gianniz, could you elaborate on the seagulls and wave action your dad taught you? I'm off to Merimbula for a spot of fishing (heaps!) and I've only fished the beach a couple of times. Would love some hints and tips for landing the big ones!

• 4 weeks later...

sorry if this a bit late. If your going to Merimbula goto HAYCOCK beach its in palmbula.

Top stop.

you can fish using the beach setup or what i did when i was there, got myself cheapo polarised sunny, looked at the waves and you will be able to see some dark patches! thats the fish! cast a metal lure and do you bits and bam! you will be on to something special.

Regarding seagulls well they swam around and dive into the waves to catch the fish.. from our vantage point you will know by seagulls going crazy all together!~

Guest johblow

Oh yeah!!! I've seen this TV show where an old bloke from SA is catching samb'os, and his technique for bleeding them was cutting their throats, and then burying them vertically in the sand, head down. The theory being that the blood comes out better. The sand, if wet, can keep them cool too. Ice box would be best after bleeding but...

How do you make them (salmon) taste good?

I have tied everything including thai fish cakes... still find them too "fishie"

Nice to be in the action on the beach - sounds like you had a day to remember.

I'm not keen on them either . A friend smokes salmon , there not bad wheh cold & served as a savoury on Jatz biscuits

Geoff