boat show

dunc333

the boat show is smaller this year inside than last time i went.i think it must be alot more expensive for the exibitors to show there stuff,anyway just down at my local ramp (drummoyne) and one of my wish i had boats edencraft has 3 boats there taking anyone for a test ride in them .wow bloody nice boats and then it twigged they are not at the show this year but are doing a east coast tour doing demos and here at the same time as the boat show.i say good on them ,really nice people and i wish i owned one ,they will be there tommorrow to if anyone wants to wish like me cheers dunc333

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 4:53 PM, Rebel said:

So, can I buy any gear there ?

There was one tackle store which looked more expensive and less on offer than heading to a local tackle store. Maybe on the last day they drop their prices to get rid of stuff but certainly not the case on the Thursday. 

23 hours ago, Blackfish said:

One of the good things about a show like this. If you in the market to buy a boat it’s easy to walk around and get a good idea all in the one place.

Did you go ? far less boats on offer to look at than any year Ive ever been, especially for anglers, yes there seemed a good selection of gin palaces.

I enquired on a new sounder as mine has a cracked screen, with a boat show special it was over $400 more expensive than buying from the likes of any of the big suppliers. I had gone to buy one at the show but will get one at any of the 5 locals suppliers nearer home.

A Dunbier trailer was advertised at a boat show special of $5700, however when I enquired when and where I could pick one up the price climbed to $7300. Not only was I disappointed, I also felt angered that sales people were trying to dupe customers with false offers. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yes I went Jon, A bit of a day out catching up with mates. As for prices, I did ask 4 dealers the price on boats I was interested in. 3  were super keen on Thursday morning and took my details …..the other one, I seemed to be a burden.

I’ve only heard from one out of the three.

• Like 2

Had a nice lazy Sunday at the show with a few mates, it was my first boat show. Got to say I left a bit underwhelmed. Was a nice enough day out, but there was little in the was of new or innovative stuff on show that took my eye. Did get a great deal on some safety gear, and had some fun looking at lots of stuff way outside my budget, but apart from that it is not something I would rush back to. Was little there for the fishers I thought, but did enjoy killing time at the Garmin stand.

• Like 1

Yeah, the old tackle shows were pretty good. A few years ago I helped out at a stand at our local caravan and camping show, we had a couple of tinnies made to suit car topping, most of the other exhibitors kind of treated us like intruders, so we never went again. The idea was we showed people the traps in car topping and how to get a boat suitable to do so, quite a bit of interest when we explained the whys, sold a couple, but just didn’t go back.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

I think one reason why they went retail only or display only was the tackle stores  were getting cut out of the deal by manufacturers selling their stuff at shows , i would have been happy to go to a show and get a discount coupon that i can use at my local store or online and the retailers redeem this with the manufacturer or supplier. This keeps the fishos going into the stores or online - where they will more than likely buy more stuff  , the manufacturers don’t really lose anything and the fisho gets a great deal . Sadly I don’t see this happening any time soon - it’s just to hard for some ! 

• Like 1

If I wanted to buy tackle I can think of better places than the boat show to buy it without moving off the lounge and just waiting for a knock on the door from the courier.

It’s too easy these days to buy anything I honestly don’t know how businesses survive.

16 hours ago, Fab1 said:

If I wanted to buy tackle I can think of better places than the boat show to buy it without moving off the lounge and just waiting for a knock on the door from the courier.

It’s too easy these days to buy anything I honestly don’t know how businesses survive.

Unfortunately this is why lots aren’t surviving, in all types of business, near me there is quite a decent size tackle “warehouse” you can walk in and buy stuff, but there is only one person serving, but, there is lots on the phone and computer desks taking and processing online sales. It seems to be the way the wheel has turned. All that said, I have noticed dozens of “for sale” items on Facebook and the like with something like “brand new, got wrong size/didn’t fit” and stuff like that. 

43 minutes ago, noelm said:

Unfortunately this is why lots aren’t surviving, in all types of business, near me there is quite a decent size tackle “warehouse” you can walk in and buy stuff, but there is only one person serving, but, there is lots on the phone and computer desks taking and processing online sales. It seems to be the way the wheel has turned. All that said, I have noticed dozens of “for sale” items on Facebook and the like with something like “brand new, got wrong size/didn’t fit” and stuff like that. 

Exactly mate.

You keep up with the times or become extinct basically.People are getting more and more time poor and want convenience.We are all lazy and want what’s easy, convenient and takes up the least amount of our time hence the explosion in on line shopping, things like Uber eats, etc.

Remember when you went to town and stopped at the butcher then went to the Deli, green grocer, bakery etc? Those days are long gone since massive malls came into the scene.(Convenience)

Places like the big green shed? Popular because people want convenience even though they are far from cheap or sell good quality gear.It’s the way of the world and in this day and age you have to worry about lining your own pocket than someone else’s I’m afraid.I know I certainly do.

When a shop is charging you $80 and I could get the exact same thing online for $22 like I found out recently my $$$ goes to the bloke online every time and that $58 goes towards bills, fuel, food, etc for my family.

While I agree, I just kind of wonder what the end result will be, just looking (say) 20 years ahead (not that it will bother me…) but, will we be simply home bound, working from home, shopping from home, getting takeaway delivered to your home, not too sure that vision is all that rosy! Will there be streets of empty shops, squatters living in abandoned businesses, I know this is drifting off topic, but, it’s something that kind of concerns/interests me, what are we leaving for our grand kids or great grand kits? Will they be looking at “old fashioned” photos of relatives from the “old days” in great grand dads old petrol powered boat with a great haul of Pike and Sweep…….

Edited by noelm
  • Like 2

Even worse (and I have moaned/whinged about this before) is people who go to a shop, look at the item they want to buy, check size/style/model, ask the salesman hundreds of questions, maybe even pick up a free glossy brochure, then go and order online from some other place because it’s cheaper…..go figure why.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, noelm said:

While I agree, I just kind of wonder what the end result will be, just looking (say) 20 years ahead (not that it will bother me…) but, will we be simply home bound, working from home, shopping from home, getting takeaway delivered to your home, not too sure that vision is all that rosy! Will there be streets of empty shops, squatters living in abandoned businesses, I know this is drifting off topic, but, it’s something that kind of concerns/interests me, what are we leaving for our grand kids or great grand kits? Will they be looking at “old fashioned” photos of relatives from the “old days” in great grand dads old petrol powered boat with a great haul of Pike and Sweep…….

In short they are screwed due to human kinds greed and stupidity.Nothing good can remain while humans are around.Our parents helped destroy this world for us, we helped destroy it for our kids , they will destroy it for theirs and it goes on and on.

The best thing that can happen to the world is to wipe the human race of the face of the planet.

If you take the time out to smell the roses and think about it we have nothing to be proud of I’m afraid.

And yes we are off subject and it’s depressing just thinking about how man can be so greedy.It all boils down to we will destroy anything for power and money.

4 minutes ago, noelm said:

Even worse (and I have moaned/whinged about this before) is people who go to a shop, look at the item they want to buy, check size/style/model, ask the salesman hundreds of questions, maybe even pick up a free glossy brochure, then go and order online from some other place because it’s cheaper…..go figure why.

It’s a version of shopping around mate.I did it recently with a mower.Went to mower/toolshops and told them I’m looking at buying the mower(done all my research online before hand) and would buy from whoever gives me the better deal.Long story short I looked at mower, spoke to salesman, took photos of prices, specs etc, asked how much it was(it was $100 more than elsewhere) told him to his face I can get it elsewhere $100 cheaper and will he drop it $100? No. Ok, hasta la vista and other tool shop got my coin.

$100 in my pocket is better than anyone else’s mate simple as that.