Kings and Bonnie’s

Larkin

Gday raiders,

decided to fish local around port hacking this week.

Trolled the cliffs with those cheap silstar Christmas tree skirts. On one pass got 3 Bonnie’s and that was enough for my bait collection. Hit up some snapper spots, but other than a few hits, nothing. 
Huge baitballs of slimies are in bate bay atm - I cast into them with a SP and got a tailor around 35cm

I went to explore a reef out at 90m depth - found bait stacked up everywhere all throughout the column - birds diving here and there but no pelagics I could see. Dropped a livie down but nothing.

hit the cliffs again and got another Bonnie, a salmon and finally found the kings I was looking for.

2 kings landed - largest going 71cm (caught on the silstar skirts) 

Kings, tailor and salmon all released.

Snapshot_202308216_220800.thumb.jpeg.472ffa0bc09f827485ffdf018ee0b352.jpeg

IMG_2473.thumb.jpeg.ff26eb7d9e06b72922c30cfba34644e9.jpeg
IMG_2475.thumb.jpeg.6759a273289e8917f48e2a6bcccc6bf7.jpegIMG_2465.thumb.jpeg.e9763e61df8da21de767d254152ba17d.jpeg

Found @Yowie’s friend out there too

IMG_2471.thumb.jpeg.daa62486acffbfa1b83ceb50f755dc0d.jpeg
IMG_2470.thumb.jpeg.44311dd836920b4d10819d6ef9e51690.jpeg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Super report.

Top photos. Nice bird. Yowie will be happy.

Well done.

Thanks Rebel - low wind, low swell, No one at the ramp and a few fish about. Couldn’t ask for anything else 

28 minutes ago, Yowie said:

A very nice catch of fish, and yes, that is the freeloader that sat around the boat last week.

Did you feed him some tidbits?

Thanks yowie - surprised at how many Bonnie’s are still around. The mackerel have arrived in numbers.

He was out deep off bate bay - gave me the look that he was keen on a feed, but I was fiddling around trying to get a few photos, he got spooked and took off.

10 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Well done Larkin, good bag.

Any squid as of late?

Thanks Isaac,

haven’t tried for squid for a few weeks - from what I’ve heard from a few friends that squid, it’s been a little quiet at the moment. 

10 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Great post Chris

very nice kings

great reward for your efforts 🙏🏻

Thanks Rob, been getting them here and there through winter. Sometimes on deep reef and other times in close to the cliffs. In summer I normally just get small ones trolling, but in winter the larger residents will hit them too.

46 minutes ago, bessell1955 said:

Those KIng fish look to be in top condition.

Thanks Bessel! 
a mate who also fished the same spot took one home. Said these fish were extra fatty, great as sashimi

10 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Terrific report Chris, well done. Please could you post a pic of the soils tar Christmas tree lures?

thanks Bob! 
the lures are the old school cheap silstars that have been around for ever. 
Come in two sizes 10cm and 16cm & 2 colours. I mainly use the 16cm - but switch it up.

I find those, and the good old halco laser pro in 120 or 140 in gold chrome or chrome tiger always outperform all the fancy lures along the cliffs. 

IMG_2489.thumb.jpeg.77d0eec1848833ad97bb6e03f0d9ba94.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice work Chris. I would have smoked the bonnie fillets. Those Xmas trees work eh. I have a bunch in varying colours and a few Jets (basically same metal head with drilled holes) that leave a bubble trail. They’re delivered the goods at times. 
cheers Zoran 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Nice work Chris. I would have smoked the bonnie fillets. Those Xmas trees work eh. I have a bunch in varying colours and a few Jets (basically same metal head with drilled holes) that leave a bubble trail. They’re delivered the goods at times. 
cheers Zoran 

Hi Zoran, yeah they work well especially along the cliffs on the bonito. During summer they usually only get hit by small kings, but in the winter the larger resident fish will have a go too.

• Like 1