Big Barra and a barking owl!!!!

JonD

It's that time of the year again where some of us get itchy feet to head up north in search of the more tropical species. 

Last year my daughter headed up a few weeks before me with her work buddies chasing the barra and reef fish but mostly barra. On one morning session both her and the fella she was fishing with caught and released over 100 Barra, which may sound a little hard to believe but given the fact the other person used to work up there as a Barra guide it makes more sense. 

So after a trip like last year you would think they would be keen to do it again but no, this trip was aimed at big barra, no more of the sub 80cm. After a couple of days of being on the water a few hours before sunrise up until a few hours after sunset a fish was finally landed at 1m long. Six days on and moving from dam to dam they headed to the Fitzroy where my daughter struck gold on this 125cm amazing fish. She was so excited she struggled to breath both during and after the capture, she also couldn't lift it and had to get it laid into her arms!!!!!!

Another highlight was a night not sleeping on the floor of the boat one night but in a reel bed but not to stop there, they ordered pizza and a barking owl decided to fly into the room and check it out!!!

Literally thousands of casts where most of us would be giving up to target something else has payed off, not that she's ready to come home yet😀.

IMG_0696.thumb.JPEG.4826f74fd2645b96cfa432a1407ae1fe.JPEG

IMG_0701.thumb.JPG.59d2b18f05455c2dfdab592202510b91.JPG

IMG_0599.thumb.JPEG.0baf032854edb487db3f8d0cd15b0c0a.JPEG

• Like 20

That is a great barra. Not many would ever be that lucky to pull up one that size. Daughter looks happy.

Oscar the owl has big eyes and big talons, lucky he did not get stroppy with being handled.

• Like 1

Now that's a Barra 😲 and perseverance certainly paid off. Congratulations on such a great fish.

I love the Barking owl. I'm lucky and get up to NW Oz, lots of Barking owls up there, some think there's a dog around 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

That is a great barra. Not many would ever be that lucky to pull up one that size. Daughter looks happy.

Oscar the owl has big eyes and big talons, lucky he did not get stroppy with being handled.

Yes most defiantly not something I would recommend anyone handling in regards to the owl. We've worked with various wildlife rescue groups so know just how dangerous they can be. My younger daughter is more into reptiles and mammals and often works removing king browns and other risky critters, including perentie's within mining sites etc.

• Like 3

WOW. That is one cracker of a barra! It certainly shows the value of fish release being propagated in the NT, WA, and Queensland. The $ such prize fish bring to these states is a true tourism boon.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isaac Ct said:

Well done, fish of a lifetime for sure. Something to remember forever.

She's the most jammiest person you are likely to come across and has already had so many fish and experiences it really wouldn't surprise me if she tops this before she heads home.

• Haha 1