Life jacket

faker

I've just looked out for the best deal on a 'manual' inflatable PFD.  They sometimes get as low as $50 at the usual suspects, but if you are in a hurry $60-$70 should see you sorted.

Some brands have a sticker saying that they don't need to be inspected for the first 5 years of their lives but in NSW, you will need to carry out an annual inspection.  Check for fraying, inspect CO2 canister for corrosion and check that the PFD stays inflated overnight.

If there is a risk of getting splashed, you do not want the auto inflatable version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi.

This was covered under the free rock fishing initiative held by surf life savers association and a number of other government entities.

First thing is DON'T get an inflatable life jacket for any serious rock fishing (ocean facing rather than inshore). Look at a comfortable and properly fitted foam filled one.

Several reasons why.

• Firstly the only way to find out if the inflatable life jacket is actually working is to test it but that then requires depressurisation and a new CO2 canister. During the demonstration of an inflatable life jacket at the initiative the pull string broke - highly unlikely to happen but why buy something with a risk of failure when you could buy a foam one which has very little to go wrong. The inflatable ones do have a manual fill point with a blow in mouth piece but not something I want to be doing in an emergency either.
  • Secondly, You see a wave coming just in time to inflate the life-jacket and get swept along the rocks. If it hits any oysters then I'm betting on them slicing the jacket thus negating the effectiveness of inflatable jacket. Could even be more of a hindrance to keeping yourself afloat.
  • Alternatively, if you don't see that wave coming and don't have time to activate the life jacket how is it going to keep you afloat if you are knocked around or unconcious. The foam one is designed to keep your head above water and breathing and doesn't need activation to do so.
  • Something else to consider, if you get swept off your feet and get bounced around the rocks the foam one gives you a degree of bounce and cut protection.
  • As @JustJames pointed out an inflatable lifejacket has to be inspected annually. You manually inflate jacket to check for wear points and test that it holds pressure for 24 hours. You check the CO2 cylinder for corrosion and should weigh it (I've got chemical laboratory scales at work) to check it is still full of gas.

On completion of the course we all got a FREE properly fitted Hobie foam filled life jacket. The four theoretical parts of the course and then the Surf Life saving presentation was worth the 3/4 of a day to do. They even gave out free pizzas for lunch.

I believe this was the incident and video which kick started the rock fishing initiative. This was within a week after several people had died at the same location.

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/group-knocked-over-by-waves-one-day-after-fishermen-deaths-video/news-story/3db75889dc4d748de1764004aeca47d3

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The Hobie designed jacket had a lot of well thought out features. I'll see if I can get some photos of it. It was still comfortable enough to fish in. There are some foam ones which will still save your life but they are a pain to wear. Cheap is not worth it in this case to save a few dollars. Look after your properly fitted jacket and it will last for years.

If you do go rock fishing then also get some suitable rock cleats. I've got boots with metal spikes but I've also got some slip on ones for my wet shoes.

There is also an emergency application called what3words which is worth loading on your phone. In an incident will you have the clarity of thought to describe your location well enough to organise a fast rescue. What3words has split the worlds up into 3m x 3m squares which can then be referenced by three easily said random words (e.g. arch.going.opens). Based on those three words the rescue people know instantly the location and the related environment (e.g. land, air or sea rescue). Minutes could save a life.

For more reading see: https://what3words.com/products/what3words-app

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, DerekD said:

I believe this was the incident and video which kick started the rock fishing initiative. This was within a week after several people had died at the same location.

The Rock Fishing Information/training sessions and Life Jacket give away was initiated by Randwick City Council in 2017.

They were also the first to mandate the wearing of life jackets.

This was done in response to the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney having the highest number rock fisher fatalities and they carried out surveys of rockfishers in 2013 and 2017 prior to mandating lifejackets.

Here is link to the survey results Rock fishing - Randwick City Council (nsw.gov.au) 

I attended the first session helped and assisted in following session. 

stu.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of the things I enjoy about this community is that I can learn how little I know.

Derek's points about inflatable PFD's are valid and good, and well taken with regard to rock fishing.

For boating though, I stand by my inflatable PFD's.  FWIW, they do also have a manual inflate.  Failure to inflate when being swept off and over rocks would be catastrophic, but probably manageable if one fell out of a boat or a boat disappeared beneath one's feet.

Next up...kill switch lanyards...

• Like 2

The type of life jacket, regardless if inflatable or foam, is worth considering. The kayak type ones have been proven not to be able to keep your face out of the water/waves if unconscious or you can’t swim, therefore drowning while you float. Lots of good points in the above posts to consider depending on what’s important to you. I personally use an inflatable life jacket on my boat that is a vest with lots of pockets to keep my gear in. Maybe the outer shell could protect from scraping against the rocks, but then you still have the problem of needing to be conscious to activate it once you’re in the water.

5 hours ago, DerekD said:

The Hobie designed jacket had a lot of well thought out features. I'll see if I can get some photos of it. It was still comfortable enough to fish in. There are some foam ones which will still save your life but they are a pain to wear. Cheap is not worth it in this case to save a few dollars. Look after your properly fitted jacket and it will last for years.

If you do go rock fishing then also get some suitable rock cleats. I've got boots with metal spikes but I've also got some slip on ones for my wet shoes.

There is also an emergency application called what3words which is worth loading on your phone. In an incident will you have the clarity of thought to describe your location well enough to organise a fast rescue. What3words has split the worlds up into 3m x 3m squares which can then be referenced by three easily said random words (e.g. arch.going.opens). Based on those three words the rescue people know instantly the location and the related environment (e.g. land, air or sea rescue). Minutes could save a life.

For more reading see: https://what3words.com/products/what3words-app

I was thinking this image.png.c029bbb5f29cbabc19268f30ee882817.png

or one of these

image.png.a341180fede7da17793a878efb35165c.png

was in one of the retail stores looking for ideas. the above PFD 100 ones are too bulky to go rock hoping around. And I do some inshore rock fishing. I am probably going to get some cleats any ways despite most of places i go to are fairly solid for my aqua surf shoes

The inflatables are favourites when boating.

I have the unfortunate experience of having to rely on one.

I was still under water in foaming turbulence thinking I need to breathe - which way is up??

Fortunately I had purchased the auto inflate models so when I was needing to breathe the jacket "went off" and we both popped up at the same time.

I did not think about where the rip cord was or even start thinking about how to do it.

If boating I recommend spending the tiny bit extra for the auto inflate models.

And I have heard the arguments about if the boat tips over on the bar and you get trapped inthe boat etc etc. By the time the jacket goes off the boat has moved on leaving you in no mans land.

One more thing - its not "luck" that you were wearing a life jacket.

• Like 3

There’s all sorts of rumours about auto inflate going off when “splashed” but it’s not so, they need a lot more than a splash to inflate. Life jackets are one of those items that you  don’t need……until you do! Lots feel almost embarrassed to wear one, but, once you get used to putting one on, it’s no different to your seatbelt in your car, it’s just habit. When I take my grandkids crabbing in Lake Illawarra (even though they can swim) the inflatable jackets go on as soon as the boats ready to reverse down the ramp.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, faker said:

I am probably going to get some cleats any ways despite most of places i go to are fairly solid for my aqua surf shoes

If you're fishing Sydney, definitely get some cleats.  Any low lying ledges are going to be slippery and cleats (of any type) will give you the grip to stop you going arse over.

Cleats are NOT the best option on rock harder than Sydney sandstone.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Burger said:

If you're fishing Sydney, definitely get some cleats.  Any low lying ledges are going to be slippery and cleats (of any type) will give you the grip to stop you going arse over.

what would you use in other case?

3 hours ago, Burger said:

+1 on that. I don’t even rock fish and I still have them in my bag when I’m fishing rocky foreshores in the harbour or on the Parra. I can then confidently walk in slippery rocks like they are dry concrete!

I’ve discovered past age 40 you don’t bounce when you fall anymore…especially on oysters!

• Like 1

I mentioned this once before, and it’s kind of going off topic, yet in a way, it isn’t! I am not sure what happens as you age, but being confident and being unsteady almost happens overnight, it doesn’t sneak up on you! I fish regularly on a rock spot that involves stepping along/on/over roundish rocks, I used to just hop/jump from rock to rock, about a year or so ago, I went for a fish, and getting to the rocks was “interesting” and for some reason, I had to stop on every rock, and steady myself, before picking the next big flatter rock to step on! No idea how it happens, so……as you get older, be sure to add an extra safety margin when rock fishing especially.

• Like 6