60 Mtrs Mixed bag

blaxland

Lovely conditions today off Sydney light winds with low swell. Took a mate to a spot described to me as 60 meters deep can just see old mans hat. First drop drift a bit quick so threw out the drogue. Next drop came up tight on a nice pan sized Snapper. We ended up with a feed including a bluespot and a mowie. Using pilchard on paternosters,  also released a pretty red gurnard. The bight went off so we looked around only to find a cuttle at mugs reef and some Aussie salmon at North head . My mate was stoked as he had not caught a snapper for years and had a doughnut last outing. 

box3.jpg

RG2.jpg

cuttle 2.jpg

AS@.jpg

• Like 13

Nice mix of fish on a very pleasant day to be on the water.

That salmon looks to be the better size for eating, not chewy like the bigger ones, although you already had a good box of quality fish so no need on this occasion but worth remembering.

Fil

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, blaxland said:

Released the cuttle fish a big mistake in hindsight

I usually keep the “candles” for bait (not that I think it’s great bait) and eat the body, it’s nicer than Squid, plus you get lots more. Favourite family recipe is just cut into pieces kind of like chips, rolled in some flour and cooked quickly in hot oil…….yum. Now and then we might do a “salt and pepper” meal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blaxland said:

Released the cuttle fish a big mistake in hindsight

I like this - having snorkelled with a bunch of them at Shelly Beach, and seen their awesome camouflage abilities, I like them too much to kill one.  They were able to match the colours of ocean bottom that they swam over pretty much instantly, and could even mimic the patterns of sunlight coming through the water; absolutely extraordinary to see.

Ditto octopus.

If I ever catch a squid though, he's toast!  (Well....bait.)

• Like 1