Out from Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out with my fishing mate Saturday arvo in his boat.

Prior to leaving, a dark shape swam near his boat. I dropped over a bread chunk, and the dark shape of a bream swam up and grabbed the bread. I tied on a suicide hook onto the lightest rod I had, 12 mono, and another chunk of bread, Dropped it over, the bream swam up and stopped a short distance away. A second bream swam up, and the first bream raced in and grabbed the bread. Hooked up and he tried to swim under a rock shelf, but did not make it. 37cm bream so happy with that.

Headed outside and a bit south of the bommie. Wind was up from the west, sloppy chop, however, the drift was slow. Could only manage to pull up spikies on the drift, not a decent hit at all. Just one whale jumping out there.

Mate had enough of the rocking boat, so we did a troll closer to shore, but nothing doing. Mate's neighbour trolled off Kurnell during the morning, and nothing doing for him either.

Anchored near the bombie, around 50 feet of water. Eventually pulled up a reddie each, low/mid 30's, and mate pulled up the red rockie, a touch over 40cms. It produce a couple of chunky fillets. After that, it was more small red rockies, ling, pike, sweep, wirrah, some small species of reef shark but nothing of value. Yakkas turned up in big numbers, but nothing else. Floating baits were attacked by the yakkas.

I had one good run, the critter grabbed a yakka fillet off the bottom, made a good run then reefed me and the line frayed. No idea what it was. Headed home on full dark.

fish.jpeg.416_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 15

Still somehow seems like you had a good day mate. Couple of fish and time on the water- can’t complain about that. Also nice to see you have a new photo of the catch - there’s a rumour that some of the previous photos looked a bit recycled 🙄

cheers Zoran 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Still somehow seems like you had a good day mate. Couple of fish and time on the water- can’t complain about that. Also nice to see you have a new photo of the catch - there’s a rumour that some of the previous photos looked a bit recycled 🙄

cheers Zoran 

Yes Zoran, a good day but not much to take home.

AND, no recycling of photos. 😂 New photos, new fish. I'm sure Donna has something on this site that picks up re-posted photos.

• Haha 1

Nice work Yowie. If you want to ‘recycle’ photos, you can easily do it by ‘other media’ then ‘insert existing attachment’…saves us the storage 🤣

Just kidding.😄

Love how you observed the bream feeding and then pivot to catch yourself one. Always noticed good anglers like yourself have keen observation skills.

Apart front the other fish, that looks to be a chunk of a red rock cod there.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Yes she has … it’s called the “Stewy” feature 

cheers Z

Hmmmmmm yes I have a very good "thing" on this site. It is called "members" some of whom are very good at pointing out to me.

The "stewy" feature is fairly accurate too. He can normally walk past my screen and say "that was caught at xxx by xxx a few years ago on a blah blah rod. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice work Yowie. If you want to ‘recycle’ photos, you can easily do it by ‘other media’ then ‘insert existing attachment’…saves us the storage 🤣

Just kidding.😄

Love how you observed the bream feeding and then pivot to catch yourself one. Always noticed good anglers like yourself have keen observation skills.

Apart front the other fish, that looks to be a chunk of a red rock cod there.

Thank you.

Have observed fish feeding over the years, and some of them are smarter than the average fisho in certain conditions. 🤣

Just have to think of, or try a way of outsmarting them. The first bream swam up to the second bread bait, but hesitated as he could probably see the line in the bait. I was counting on another bream swimming along, which happened, and that caused the first bream to become greedy and he rushed in and grabbed the bait. His last meal.

The fillets off the red rockie were thick near the shoulder end. Mate has not eaten them before, so he wanted to try it. If he had not wanted it, I would have snookered it for myself. 🤣

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Dave👏🏻👏🏻

Thanks Rob. Fish about, but most not worth eating. I have eaten large sweep as a kid, and red rockies, but most of them were small. Mate pulled up a wirrah, easily 45cm long, and said it would make for good fillets, so I said, give it a try and let me know what they taste like. He threw it back in.  😂

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Welster said:

I especially liked the bream part of the story.  Eyeballing the fish before you outsmart it is all kinds of cool 😎

Does not always work, but this time greed overcame caution and, "first in, first served."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice catch on a tough day! 

Good sized bream & a couple of nice reddies

the flatty drift takes a lot of victims with the rocking - especially when nothing’s coming up.

At least I had something for the plate. Not in to eating the other rubbish we pulled up.

We thought we would be drifting along at a bit of speed, but hardly any movement at all, apart from side to side. Most of the fishing tackle, glasses, etc,etc eventually fell off the table so all was left on the floor - could not fall any further. On the north side of the bombie, still some swell but nothing like it was a little further down the coast.

4 hours ago, Larkin said:

flatty drift takes a lot of victims with the rocking - especially when nothing’s coming up.

Interesting! … you must have different crew …under those conditions I find quite a lot comes up …. from my crew !!! 
cheers Z

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Interesting! … you must have different crew …under those conditions I find quite a lot comes up …. from my crew !!! 
cheers Z

Never recycled food-for-burley with you.

• Like 1