Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out up from Lilli Pilli this morning. A bit of colour in the water for a change.

Rather quiet except for under sized reddies eating anything thrown at them. Trevally on the bait line. No yakkas again though I did manage 2 sweep amongst the little reddies. The sweep fillets produced the flounder, and the reddie on the last cast. Chunky one at that. Also a small jewie around 40cm.

A few fish splashing here and there, so up anchor and moved around, and this was the only hit on the lure, a yakka not even 15cm long. Headed up S/W Arm, looked like a few tailor in with the salmon, but no takers on the lure. At one stage I had a school of around 50 trevally swim past the boat, some at 40cm or more then they disappeared. 

No hits on a squid jig either, so headed home.

I did see a turtle bobbing it's head out of the water for a breath, then disappear. Not a common sight, but they are present every year in the Hacking.

fish.jpeg.422_files_files_files.jpg

fish.jpeg.423_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Nice mixed bag Dave!
Decent reddie for inside the hacking

Insides been void of yakkas lately. Been checking around Gunnamatta wharf every now and then. Theres heaps of them outside though.

Thank you. Reddie a nice one for up river, thick body. 

No yakkas where I have been fishing lately, unusual for this time of year. The little yakka was caught near Lilli Pilli. Last time I fished outside, wall-to-wall yakkas under the boat.

41 minutes ago, big Neil said:

An average day by your standards Yowie. Can be a bit disappointing when you know the potential for a particular area, but that's fishing. Lovely Flounder...delicious on the plate and one of my favs. bn

Thanks b.n.  Flounder was rather nice last night. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

Thanks Rob. Saw some whiting in shallow water, blue noses on the larger ones. 

Funny, there is some big ones snooping around here at the moment too, wonder if “something” is not quite right for them to go out on to the beaches?

9 hours ago, noelm said:

Funny, there is some big ones snooping around here at the moment too, wonder if “something” is not quite right for them to go out on to the beaches?

Had a swim at Wanda today, water still a bit cool on first dive in. Warm water not yet on the beaches.

8 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Decent feed Yowie, well done. Hopefully a few more fish turn up in the next few weeks.

Thank you. Can only get better.

8 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

A nice variety of species.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Fried Rice said:

Nice mixed bag and some delicious eating.

Flounder good as usual, trevally not as good. Reddie fillets tomorrow night.