Kingie action off Long reef

Pickles

@Ledge (Aidan) and buddy Joe (never caught a kingfish until today) and I planned a trip to 12mile or The Peak,  but as often happens, the weather was against us with strong winds predicted and sloppy swell, so after collecting slimies and Yakkas we headed for Long reef. Ledge and Joe hooked up quickly and we ended up boated 13 kings at Longie (all rats, but a couple close to legal), then went drifting for Flatties (only 2 keepers), then stopped off inside Nth Head on the way back and Joe and Aidan bagged another 2 rat Kingies.

The highlight of the day was  Joe hooking into a real Hoodlum that stripped line and gave him an arm wrenching run and fight for a good minute or so until the 80lb line separated from the hook. The reel was a Stella 10000 with 65lb braid and 80lb fluro leader - all quality gear paired to a Demon blood rod. Joe was afraid the rod would snap, but he held on when reassured that it had landed several meter plus Kingies in the past. A pity we couldn’t get the fish to the boat, but it’ll be there till next time.

Although conditions were less than favourable, we had a great day in God’s great outdoors and as a bonus @Ledgepresented me with a banana hat ☺️ 🍌 

IMG_1973.jpeg

IMG_1967.jpeg

IMG_1976.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 19

15 hours ago, Pickles said:

@Ledge (Aidan) and buddy Joe (never caught a kingfish until today) and I planned a trip to 12mile or The Peak,  but as often happens, the weather was against us with strong winds predicted and sloppy swell, so after collecting slimies and Yakkas we headed for Long reef. Ledge and Joe hooked up quickly and we ended up boated 13 kings at Longie (all rats, but a couple close to legal), then went drifting for Flatties (only 2 keepers), then stopped off inside Nth Head on the way back and Joe and Aidan bagged another 2 rat Kingies.

The highlight of the day was  Joe hooking into a real Hoodlum that stripped line and gave him an arm wrenching run and fight for a good minute or so until the 80lb line separated from the hook. The reel was a Stella 10000 with 65lb braid and 80lb fluro leader - all quality gear paired to a Demon blood rod. Joe was afraid the rod would snap, but he held on when reassured that it had landed several meter plus Kingies in the past. A pity we couldn’t get the fish to the boat, but it’ll be there till next time.

Although conditions were less than favourable, we had a great day in God’s great outdoors and as a bonus @Ledgepresented me with a banana hat ☺️ 🍌 

IMG_1973.jpeg

IMG_1967.jpeg

IMG_1976.jpeg

those banana lures work well🤣

• Like 1