Cod season opener

dirvin21

As the title says we headed out for the opening of cod season, unfortunately Amy jad to work so my daughter joined me and we headed off at 4:30am for our 3 hour drive.

We started pur hike along the NP trail 9nly to see the river flowing hard and dirty

received_872274674504906.thumb.jpeg.befe7d5a6f6a7dd43268da66cbfc86f6.jpeg

I was a bit worried as I didn't bring many flashy lures

received_1524817671389891.thumb.jpeg.345a674203a3ce5cef5988d52a36afac.jpeg

Still beautiful spot regardless

Started out with my usual weedless plastic, put my first cast along some spindly trees thinking to myself the plastic may not work in these conditions... cod thinking hold my beer, plastic gets annihilated right at my feet first cast, near soiled myself

received_1021009095832009.thumb.jpeg.143e7829c978bc67131a565e83cda569.jpeg

A beautifully marked cod to start the season on the first cast.

That pushed confidence up, we got into casting and working along the river, Georgia was running a spinnerbait and I stuck with the plastic.

Georgia was getting a few bumps on the spinnerbait but nothing solid, then after she peppered an area first cast with the plastic it gets smashed

received_219242297869539.thumb.jpeg.e2e785da07af3f77628e07f3f55dc26e.jpeg

Love the release shower they give

received_7082979231725118.thumb.jpeg.8a6159c31a02a748f2d696b707e059d0.jpeg

Another nice cod, decided to change Georgia to a plastic, a short cast into some backwater so she could  see how it works and it gets smashed straight up

received_5524065734384578.thumb.jpeg.9f191a2886240b3fe543fc4124edf5bd.jpeg

Another feisty cod of similar size, the day was going great....... for now!

We started hiking and fishing down river, first of all the heat came from nowhere combined with the fish really grinding to a halt, Georgia started feeling unwell and was clearly roasting, not to mention dizzy and shaky. It amazing how quickly things cjange in the bush. After some shade, water and a splashdown she was looking better the decision was made to not go any further then to seal the deal the wind came from nowhere, geniunely causing worry about widow makers.

Headed back to the main pool and let Georgia have a break

received_242782495299319.thumb.jpeg.9a1f55dfbcd79d5e26066ed64aa09b3c.jpeg

I decided to put a few more casts in and for good measure

received_872240577777091.thumb.jpeg.70881b9f9520c387295a89a535af1b4e.jpeg

A final cod to finish the day off,

In the end we only cut our day short by probably less than 2 hours which is nothing versus coming home safely

Interestingly the fish and hits all came from shallow edges well away from the main current flow, 

Hopefully the first of many cod for this season 

Cheers for reading 

Dave

• Like 17

Good result Dave and Georgia. Not surprised at the colour of the water after the Statewide rains of last week. Great pics Dave. None of the fish appear to have a lot of condition about them. Healthy enough, but they seem to have been working hard for their food. Do you ever take one home for a feed Dave?

Hope that Georgia recovered well and is keen to get back out there. Lovely countryside!

Cheers, bn

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

Good result Dave and Georgia. Not surprised at the colour of the water after the Statewide rains of last week. Great pics Dave. None of the fish appear to have a lot of condition about them. Healthy enough, but they seem to have been working hard for their food. Do you ever take one home for a feed Dave?

Hope that Georgia recovered well and is keen to get back out there. Lovely countryside!

Cheers, bn

Definitely a little skinny but fish from that area are often leaner than fish from rivers like the Severn 

Have never kept a cod, love them too much

• Thanks 1

Great result Dave and Georgia on the fish front in some great country but sorry to hear Georgia started to feel unwell but cutting the day a little short is far better then it really turning pear shaped, plus you both got some fish and mission accomplished. I love going fishing with my daughter.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dirvin21 said:

Come join me on one

Definitely will one day! There might be a New England adventure sometime in the near future, I'll need to ensure it lines up with cod open season.

Have to say Dave, I'm a bit jealous of you having a wife and daughter who will join you on trips like this and actively fish as well. My wife is definitely not interested but the kids might yet be keen. Reminds me that I need to take them out with me more often.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see you getting a few cod Dave, the water level is dropping again after the rain just before cod opening but there is still a lot of colour in the water which along with some fairly unstable weather has made the fishing a bit patchy. Forecast is for rain the next few days so will probably stir things up again.

• Thanks 1

A great report Dave and some lovely looking fish. I still haven’t had a shot at catching Cod, but more reports like yours and Neil’s that I read, the keener I’m getting. Sounds like Georgia had a touch of heat stroke - hope she’s OK now.

• Thanks 1