leather jackets sydney harbour

dunc333

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There're plenty of them in the Sydney Harbour or Middle Harbour area. I use long shank J hook size 8-12 targeting them. My mate also caught several using size 6 circle hook but the technique is a bit different I guess.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 6:27 PM, noelm said:

Don’t know about Sydney, but Leatherjackets can be caught off just about any wharf by simply dropping bait down right beside the pylons, plenty being caught in Port Kembla harbour.

Hi Noel. So what's the rig set up for catching Leatherjackets off wharves? What bait is best?

bn

A simple small sinker to a swivel, light line, long shank hook (so they don’t bite you off) and peeled prawn or small pieces of squid. Make sure no bait is on the line itself because they will nip it straight through taking the bait. Just lower it down beside the pylons, don’t cast out, after getting a couple, if the bite stops, move to another pylon. Very simple to catch, but beware, they are master bait stealers, a whole prawn will come back with a clean shell, no idea how they do it, most times you can see them swimming around.

• Thanks 1