Kings and Flatties

Larkin

Gday Raiders,

headed out on Thursday nice and early to beat the crowds.

Did a bit of exploring early on, then headed to the flatty drift. Fish were bunched up at the 50m mark over a small area. After a couple of hours boated 8 and released another 2-3 smaller legals.

trolled the cliffs on the way back to see if the Bonnie’s had arrived - 2 small kings, then a Bonnie.

Hit up a kingy spot and found some action -  fish after fish. Bringing up doubles. No big ones but spent an hour or two hauling up a dozen fish. Half at around the 60-63cm size. The rest at 50-60cm. Nothing of size. 
They were taking livies and strips of unweighted fresh squid.

flatties ranged from 34-44cm.

IMG_3852.thumb.jpeg.7b5fef8d5745b07b72be25274ef855f2.jpeg

IMG_3839.thumb.jpeg.d5f53f6160658125c0ab4baca17f1429.jpeg

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 14

A nice bag there. Plenty of flatty fillets for a good feed , and a bonnie.

Plenty of kings but not of size. 

Trolling for me was no good the other day, but the kingies were taking baits when we anchored.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

A nice bag there. Plenty of flatty fillets for a good feed , and a bonnie.

Plenty of kings but not of size. 

Trolling for me was no good the other day, but the kingies were taking baits when we anchored.

Thanks Dave, finally a few flatties about - nothing big though - and only pulled up 2 spikies.

The cheap silstar Christmas tree skirt lures always seem to get the hits for me.

26 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Well done Larkin, nice feed. Any kings inside the hacking at the moment?

Thanks Isaac, the schools haven’t come inside yet - they’re out the front along the headlands/cliffs. All seem to be undersized at the moment - larger fish should arrive in 3-4 weeks. 
You’ll still get kingies inside, but imo start of Feb is the best month for large kings in the hacking.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Great catch of Flathead.

Thanks Bessel - good to see them about again.

3 hours ago, Basil D said:

The flathead have come back on as you said Chris 

With those photos you sent me this arvo, looks like you did pretty well on them today!

2 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice bag of fillets Chris and plenty of reel action on the kings, shame a keeper didn’t cooperate 😜

Thanks Rob, plenty of kingy action out there atm, but all just under.

What a haul of flathead well done.

I've tried for inshore flathead on the yak and I can managed is millions of undersized ones.

I'll move about 10-20m and then immediately get smashed by more small flatheads. 

They seem to be everywhere, I guess I just need to figure out where the bigger units are. 

Wondering does everyone here know how much flathead fillets cost in the shops, cause I can tell you they're not cheap. But I guess fishing is more expensive!

5 hours ago, Pickles said:

Another brilliant day Chris - go you good thing. Some nice Flatties. Isn’t it fn to hit a patch of Kingies that are hungry (even if there under legal).

Thanks Bob - finally a few flatties about.

kings were good fun - I recon 2-4 weeks and the larger models should turn up

5 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Good to see the flatties back Chris! A few holiday lunches sorted!

Yeah the offshore flatties have been a hard slog to get over the last few months. Seems they’ve started to show up now.

1 hour ago, whiskey299 said:

What a haul of flathead well done.

I've tried for inshore flathead on the yak and I can managed is millions of undersized ones.

I'll move about 10-20m and then immediately get smashed by more small flatheads. 

They seem to be everywhere, I guess I just need to figure out where the bigger units are. 

Wondering does everyone here know how much flathead fillets cost in the shops, cause I can tell you they're not cheap. But I guess fishing is more expensive!

Thanks Brad!

those small ones were everywhere - even out past 50m a few weeks back.

I occasionally see that bloke Andrew out that deep on his kayak - but he’s got an outrigger and small outboard motor.

22 hours ago, Larkin said:

Thanks Aiden! 
You get out on Thursday? There were quite a few boats inside the hacking.

Yeah we got out and it was definitely a popular day to be on the water! Only plagues of baby snapper at the drop offs but we picked up some nice whiting on the flats and started to get the handle of the new boat. 

• Like 1