Surface session

dirvin21

I sit here with a cold one writing this after a great morning session before the heat

The day started with a 0515 alarm, with a quick boat prep and a goodbye to Amy (work duties) I was at the ramp at Wauchope by 0620, the tide was insanely low but I decided to head upriver, it was a full concentration trip upriver, arrived at my destination with cicadas singing at ridiculous volume. 

Decided to start the morning with a surface lure, the main target was bass but with si many bream in the brackish went for a popper. The action started pretty much straight away, 3rd cast onto a small bream, I was seriously surprised as surface lures in the salt don't usually work so well for me. Only a small bream but next cast on again

received_1416190939108448.thumb.jpeg.d3b0cbf6bd2be21e91b1a902523b9e6c.jpega better bream a quick release and I was back into it, a couple of casts later and I'm into a better bream received_888976662864488.thumb.jpeg.c50f5b8b26d6a5e718cae4df3edd5d47.jpeg

Absolutely engulfed the lure  

There was life everywhere, had my lure chased by a water dragon and a small bull shark.

And of course more bream

received_3698751243691310.thumb.jpeg.049f4e35b5749b7d3ae8de0c833a0300.jpeg

The bream action was insane  hits, follows or hook-ups on most casts, the fish were really concentrated on bank with trees and cicadas, go figure.

My main aim for the day was a bass, and casting a shallow section I see a bow wave charge my lure from nowhere, thinking big bream I was happily surprised to see a solid bronze

received_1323352799066573.thumb.jpeg.7dc72e4bb58469548d857420017fe573.jpeg

Measured 42cm, but seriously fat and healthy, could the day get any better, it could with more surface  bream and it did

received_3806366756260859.thumb.jpeg.3983877134f6066e7885005e77816c3a.jpeg

Tried the opposite side of the river with a dropped small trev, but otherwise the lack of cicadas meant no fish.

Moving upriver tye fushing seemed a littke slow a few follows from small fish, then cruising on the electric with a nothing cast I was adjusting the motor and the popper gets annihilated, scrambling to turn the camera on I called a good fish, it ran deep thinking big bass, I wasn't disappointed to spot a trev

received_1012024603223822.thumb.jpeg.3acce98c7fd10da8c2d8aaf13bf4dab1.jpeg

A nice big eye, gave a solid fight, definetly happy

The bream action continued wkth a few more fish

received_729036639290497.thumb.jpeg.442886ddd59c37cf211b069d49454477.jpeg

Ended the session by 9:30 with the temperature rising and the bite slowing down,

Was an amazing little surface session, by far my best in tidal waters

Cheers for reading 

Dave

• Like 18

Thank you for an excellent report Dave,

Great news for the Hastings considering the impact of the 2021 floods.

An auspicious year for Ciccadas and therefore surface action confirmed by your report. (Where is Big Neil!!)

The upper Bellinger River is also alive with ciccadas as is the upper Manning.

FYI young fulla went to the shelf off Forster yesterday. Water reportedly a "mild" 29*!! Report of a Blue and several Stripes plus some donkey Dollies.

That should give you and yours some surface action off Port.

Thanks for the report

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

Sounds like an awesome session.

Is that a bass or an EP? The red coloured eye indicates bass but the head seems quite concave which would point to it being an EP.

I see what you mean,  did think possibly estuary perch but had a good look over the fish, the colour of body, fins and body shape made confident it's a bass

• Like 1

Great report there Dave it seems the area was really firing and certainly a mixture of fish, Bream, Trev and Bass.

I've put my boat away for a couple of weeks so all the visitors can enjoy the water but never thought of a session up that way……. I’m the new person to the area as you can see.

I did drive down to have a look at the main ramp at West Port yesterday and gosh it was busy with not only boat trailers but lots of just cars and people.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

Great report there Dave it seems the area was really firing and certainly a mixture of fish, Bream, Trev and Bass.

I've put my boat away for a couple of weeks so all the visitors can enjoy the water but never thought of a session up that way……. I’m the new person to the area as you can see.

I did drive down to have a look at the main ramp at West Port yesterday and gosh it was busy with not only boat trailers but lots of just cars and people.

If we can score a free day in the next week or 2 I'll take you fir a run up there

• Thanks 1