Sydney Harbour and more surprises - Monster Kingie?

Caught up with @The Rev (a dead set legend who is just as curious and experimental as myself, but more successful than I ).  We met up on the harbour bait grounds and filled up with livies in no time and we planned to fish two up out wide, but the weather was much windier and choppier than predicted. However My colleague  Adam (before I retired) and his young bloke (Harrison aged eight) wanted to catch some Kingies and Harrison particularly wanted to catch a shark and was adamant he was going to get a Hamerhead (we prayed to that effect, but I suggested that we may get a shark, but very unlikely we would get a Hammerhead). 

We headed off shore to the FAD and hoped to get some Dollie’s, but no luck, but plenty of rat kings - same at Long reef 😞.  We decided to try a drift for Flatties, but again no blue spots 😞. I wanted to send the crew home with a feed so decided to try inside the Heads (as I had scored some solid kings last week and plenty of bonito around). We burleyed up and set a livie and 2 fresh squid baits (unweighted) out and the chaos began.

I hooked up within 5 mins of anchoring and line started peeling off, I wound the drag up and line kept peeling off, I tightened it up again (65lb braid and 50lb leader) and still kept peeling off. I immediately handed the rod to Adam, retracted the Minkota fired up the Merc and chased the MONSTER KINGIE
It was quickly apparent that  it was NOT a big king, but a shark. After 20 minutes my suspicions we confirmed and Harrison’s prayers were answered and it was a 2m + Hammerhead shark. The young bloke was really keen to get a pic with it, but I told him that they were not good eating and shark that size would destroy the boat if we tried to get it in, so as it was lip hooked with a circle hook (love circle hooks for Kingies), it was cut off and swam away.

IMG_2153.jpeg

IMG_2156.jpeg

IMG_2148.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 19

43 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Great description of a good day on the water Bob. Never a dull moment fishing with you.

bn

Cheers Neil - I remember well the big Mako, you battled with off Dee Why, didn’t seem that long ago.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, whiskey299 said:

Great report Bob.

Shame about the Monster Kingie!

Shame about the Dollies!

I've seen a recent report of small but legal dollies being caught off Sydney on a private FAD.

Yep, I’ve been so tempted to set my own “personal FAD”, but have erred on the side of what is right and proper and legal. I still get enough fish to keep me interested (the pleasure is about the pursuit, not just the possession).

• Like 1

I ran into a hammer head shark this weekend while the kayaking around the Sydney heads, it was easily over +2m.

It was doing circles around the yak and must have smelt the fish I just had bled. 

I eventually chased it away and noticed it had a buddy nearby who was around the same size.

Late in the arvo I also spotted a smaller hammer head in north harbour chasing some top water fish, it was going crazy. To think people tow tubes around this area is pretty scary.

646B1FC1-402A-4866-9857-24B8A874AEB8.jpeg

E0FE7F03-3CC3-4E2E-991A-347F4AD9D2E5.jpeg

Edited by whiskey299
  • Like 2